Chapter Twenty

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

A few hours later

ADRIENNE

Turning over in bed, I thought of the events that happened tonight.

My angel, my fiance and my broken relationship with my family.

Thoughts swirled in my head like stars swirling in the night sky. But I let one thing start to lull me into the darkness, into the sweet painless sleep; into paradise. His voice; the voice of my angel.

Letting my eyes close, sleep swept over me like a silent blanket.

I stood from a throne, a midnight dress wrapped around me, cape flowing in the wind. I was surrounded by stars, bright and pure.

Touching my head, a crown lay still. Walking along the midnight starry path, a light erupted at the end of the path.

A man stood there, the most handsome man I have ever seen. But he wasn't just a man. Draped from his back was a pair of wings. But not just any wings, unlike those of a demon or angel; they were pitch black and feathered.

"Adrienne" the voice called to me, but I couldn't make out who it belonged to. Stepping towards the man, he reached out towards me. I began to run, faster and faster towards him, the stars twinkling around me. He held out his hand, as I reached to grasp it.

But I never did. I felt myself falling as the starry path split beneath me, as I tumbled down, down.

"ADRIENNE!" the man screamed, desperately reaching for me. But I continued to fall, deeper and deeper into the darkness. Until I couldn't make out the stars light. Until the feeling left my body. Until the darkness became me.

GASP!

I was viciously jerked from the nightmare, my chest heaving as I gasped in air. The golden glow of dawn streamed through the room, flittering around the drawn curtains.

Sighing, I stood from my bed and proceeded to get ready for the day.

Holding my corset up in my hands, I debated wearing it. Considering my mother's response if I didn't, I might as well. Tying the strings, I thought amongst myself. "Why must I wear this blasted thing! Will I have to wear it forever?" I thought to myself, grumbling angrily about the pain of corsets.

After pulling on my favorite day dress, a midnight blue one adorned with starry lace, I headed downstairs. My mother and father sat at the dining table, discussing something very grimly.

"Adrienne. We must talk about your behavior yesterday" my mother barked after seeing me, unlike her usual scrutinizing tone.

Sitting in one of the chairs across from my parents, I shot them a displeased look.

"That was unacceptable Adrienne. Do you know how backing out of this marriage would look on our family" my mother lectured.

"And how dare you challenge my authority girl! I am your father, your superior and your guardian" my father barked.

A response flittered in my mind, but I shook it away.

"Please my daughter, we only want what's best for you. Abigor is a very honorable man who's only ten years older than you" my mother pleaded, changing her harsh tone.