Chapter Thirty Nine

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" Erebus screamed as Abigor staggered back shocked. Rage filled him, consumed him; until there was nothing left but darkness. Maddening, plunging darkness, taunting him to let it take control, to let himself become what he is destined to be.

A rush of excruciating pain tore through him like a tornado. Massive pitch black, feathered wings tore from the flesh on his back, blood oozing from his skin as a monstrous snarl filled Erebus's face.

Midnight shadows crept up his hands, leaving spidery black trails behind. Black smoke poured out of his enraged dark red eyes as shadows surrounded him. Tipping his head back, the beautiful golden crown on his head turned black, midnight quartz bursting forth in its place. Dark crystals shattered through the ground, encasing everyone in the room, like that of a giant tomb. Crystals clung to every surface, wrapping the walls like ivy. They encased Abigor and the other invaders in the room, trapping them in a prison sharper than diamonds. Dark whirls wrapped around Adrienne as well, albeit gently; elevating her in a cloud of darkness to meet the beast's eye.

"My Mate" The beast snarled, striding towards Adrienne's dying form. Its lengthened canines glistening like fine china in the darkness of the room. The shadows wrapped themselves around the creature and Adrienne tightly. Snatching up Adrienne in his arms, the monster disappeared into a mist of black smoke, wings flaring and eyes burning a red only found in the pits of hell itself.

The shadows reappeared in the dark tower as the creature tore the tapestry aside. Behind it stood a giant coffin, made entirely of the black crystals with whorls of darkness surrounding it. Gently laying Adrienne down in the coffin, the monster wrapped itself around her. The creature carefully bit its arm, dragging the sharp canines along it to rupture the flesh. Blood began to pour out of the fresh wound as the creature pressed it to Adrienne's mouth.

"Mmmph!" She protested halfheartedly, eyes glazed shut with pain as she struggled to move only her head. The monster hissed as its hand wrapped around the base of the Gafire sword, before it took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, my love" it murmured before ripping the sword from Adrienne's flesh. Instinctively, she bit down hard on the bloody wrist in her hand, as the creature's blood trickled down her throat. The monster let out a deafening, mighty roar, sinking its fangs into Adrienne's neck; just before her body went still.

Thump... thump...
The fragile heartbeat stopped.
Adrienne lay dead. The creature snarled, entwining his mate in his arms as its heavy wings wrapped protectively around the small limp frame. Erebus's chest heaved as he could feel the pain and rage darkness pounding away in him, like a second heartbeat. He nuzzled his face into the mark on Adrienne's neck, kissing it tenderly.

His mate. His light.

The darkness in his eyes swirled as he clutched his mate to him. Her body easily slumped into his arms. Rocking her gently, Erebus rested her head against his chest and stood. The shadows swept them away...

Erebus heard the screams as the shadows tore through the castle and back. He reappeared in the room, to see the humans still trapped in their coffins. Their screams and worthless struggle was pitiful and pathetic.

Just as his eyes locked with one of the humans, the bubbling rage overflowed his mind and soul. Abigor. The pathetic thing that had ruthlessly tormented and killed his mate. And he was going to pay... soon...

His crystals surrounded him, reaching towards the sky like souls reaching out of Hell. Smoke swirled around like a whirlwind of stars.

Erebus sat back in his throne of darkness, glaring at the encased humans. The vampires in the room looked at him in horror. He gently rubbed his mate's back, as he bent to pick up a wooden stake. It turned to smoke and mist and darkness, leaving nothing but a pile of ash at the foot of the throne. "Erebus" a familiar voice pleaded. He turned his head.

"I will not hurt my family. You do not need to fear me" Erebus answered smoothly, turning his attention back to the human scum.

"What have you done with her!" Another voice yelled, human this time. Erebus recognized this as Adrienne's father. He laughed, coldly.
"I have done nothing to my mate. This scum of yours has killed her" he snarled.

Standing from the throne, still clutching Adrienne in his arms, Erebus strode towards a trapped Abigor. The crystals began to wither away as he neared, turning into black ash on the floor. Abigor's face turned a talc shade of white. He took a step back in fear.

"How DARE you try to defile my mate! How DARE you!" Erebus snarled, yet kissed Adrienne's forehead softly as more crystals erupted from the floor in sharp jagged peaks. He couldn't let her go. Her body was the only thing anchoring him from descending into the plunging abyss of darkness, and never looking back. "You have taken the most precious thing from me. You have taken my light, and now; all that remains is darkness" Erebus bellowed, stepping towards the man.

Abigor continued to back up, until his feet hit something metal. He shook in fear as he slowly leaned down, watching in a stupor as Erebus brushed a lock of hair from Adrienne's face.

Wrapping his hand round the bow, he let the wooden arrow fly before dashing towards the only free set of doors. He heard the angry roar behind him as he tore through the entryway, reaching the balcony at the edge of the room.

Erebus thundered after Abigor. How DARE he attempt to attack his mate's body. He could hear his family calling after him, but he did not stop. He did not hesitate.
Throwing open the doors, his rage bubbled over and he took another step forward.

Just in time to see Abigor jump off the balcony into the darkness below. He watched as his body hit the ground with an unsightly crack, red blood splattering the ground like rain.

The realization of what had happened and what he had lost, hit him all at once as the mighty King fell to his knees, still clutching his love. A pained sob echoed from him as he cradled his dead mate.

The dark crystals began to rescind, as the shadows entwined around him. The tears continued to fall as he closed his eyes, feeling the rage leave. Nothing but sadness remained.

Looking up, his beautiful blue eyes met his people's. The darkness that had torn through him, turned into emptiness. Even now that he had found his home, he still didn't belong. Erebus had no idea what he was anymore. He wasn't sure if anything anymore. The only remainder of the darkness were the jet black wings, wrapped tightly around his lumiére.

His advisors and friends stepped towards him, faces full of sorrow. "Erebus" Aspen solemnly whispered. Erebus raised a hand to his head, feeling a throbbing sensation.
White light flashed in front of his eyes as he collapsed.

And at last, the world was silent.