Chapter Thirty Two

Later that evening
Adrienne

I turned over in the massive bed; the new soft satin gliding against my skin. My mind fluttered back to earlier in the day. God! That was so embarrassing.

Delphine was my grand-maitresse, according to other vampires. She said she could not salvage the dressing robe I was wearing earlier. I felt a flush come upon my face at the notion. I had menstruated on several very expensive items belonging to King Erebus.

I had apologized profusely and offered to attempt to clean the items, but Erebus dismissed the idea. He had told me not to fret over it. That didn't stop me from feeling badly.

I had received two new dressing robes, one plain from the infirmary and another intriguing one. The one I was wearing now was silk, short sleeved, pale blue and had lace flowers. It was trimmed with satin ribbon. I couldn't begin to imagine how much it cost, and none of Erebus's protestations could stop the guilt bubbling inside me.

Running my hand over the trim, I lay back on the very comfortable pillows. The soft sound of a piano filtered its way into the room. Whoever was playing was excellent. The soft notes complimented a beautiful romantic melody. The music flowed gently and thoroughly; I closed my eyes and savored the sound.

Standing from the bed, I slid my feet into the blue silk slippers which matched the dressing robe.

Following the sound, I left my chambers and headed down the very intricate baroque hall. I had no idea the vampire kingdom had this kind of opulence; which would surpass any human kingdom.

I stopped to gaze at a painting near the sound. A young Erebus was painted; wearing full royal garb. A golden crown has perched atop his head.

He really was special.

I continued to follow the sound and stopped in front of another golden door. Cherubs holding harps and music notes decorated the door in a golden masterpiece. Everything in this beautiful castle was luxurious.

Leaning my ear against the door, I heard the piano sound inside. I turned the door handle slowly; not wishing to interrupt whoever was playing so beautifully.

The room was mostly dark. A figure sat hunched over a grand piano, playing. Several golden candelabras lit up the space. Walking closer, I noticed the figure was a man; as he shook silently.

I then realized how indecent the situation was. The man playing was shirtless and heavily muscled. I should have turned and left, but curiosity got the better of me. I stepped closer to the man to notice the keys of the grand piano were wet. He was crying.

The rich louder sound of the piano filled the room as I lay a small hand on the man's broad shoulder. The man whirled around; only for me to be met with a pair of glassy indigo eyes. Those eyes, they held all the sadness in the world.

Erebus.

I smiled at him, being so bold as to take a seat on the small piano bench. I huddled closer to him, wrapping my arms around his still trembling figure. I felt two odd bumps on his back but paid no mind to them.

"You play beautifully" I murmured. Erebus settled his head in the crook of my neck, his tears wetting the shoulder of my dressing gown. I said no more but held him tightly until his tears stopped.

I took a deep breath, gazing at the sheet music.

"Can you feel the love tonight?

The peace the evening brings

The world, for once, in perfect harmony

With all its living things" I sang softly.

Closing my eyes, I leaned against him. The soft notes of the piano began again.