Chapter Nineteen

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

ONE YEAR LATER

ADRIENNE

Shutting the book on my lap, I grazed my hand over the cover.

The Hunchback of Norte Dame was such a sad story. "Ezmarelda was such an admirable character," I thought to myself, sighing.

Shifting the skirts of my day dress, I glanced at the dusty cloak above the wall. It was about time I headed home to my mother.

"I wonder how father is doing?" I thought to myself.

My father had been away on one of his many business travels and we were unsure of when he would return.

Stepping into the crowded streets, I watched the bustling townsfolk, eager to get home to their families. Spotting a pregnant Elizabeth and her husband in the crowd, I waved. Elizabeth looked right at me and sneered, turning away.

Sighing, I began the walk back to my family home. Elizabeth and Marie both have wealthy doting husbands and Elizabeth has a baby on the way. As for me, I am still as single as ever. I've received slim male attention except for the Marquis that one night, about a year ago.

I took my time walking home, knowing I'd receive the same lecture as always. "Adrienne, you're 20 - time to find a husband" I'd hear. Despite me having no interest in being some babymaking trophy for a man to admire.

Shaking the thought away, I opened the door of my home.

"Father!" I exclaimed surprised. He was sitting with another gentleman in the parlor, talking amiably. My mother turned around, seeing my appearance then ushered me upstairs.

Once we were in my bedroom, my mother darted to my armoire and began pulling out dresses.

"Mother?! What is it?" I asked confused. She whirled around, her eyes brimming with joy. This is the happiest I've seen her since Elizabeth's wedding.

"Adrienne, there is a very important gentleman waiting downstairs. He is a war hero and a wonderful young man. We must tidy you up a bit" my mother rambled excitedly as I couldn't clearly make out what she was saying.

After being shoved into an overly tight and fancy evening dress, my mother ushered me downstairs.

The man sitting at the table alongside my father was handsome and obviously rich. He sat proudly in his chair and talked in a boasting loud voice.

"Darling, this is Abigor Chagny," my mother said in a sickeningly sweet voice.

I gave the man a small smile.

He responded back with an egotistical smirk.

I had to contain my eye role.

My father gestured for me to join them. Sitting stiff-backed in the chair, my mind whirled with the possibilities.

Who was this man? Why was he here? Was this what I thought it was?

"Hello Adrienne, it is a pleasure to meet you" The man drawled.

"The pleasure is mine monsieur" I answered back stiffly.

"Please Adrienne, call me Abigor" the man corrected.

"My apologies Abigor" I answered back.

"I'm sure you are wondering what this little meeting is about my daughter," my father said, pride tinging his voice. "It seems God has answered our prayers" my mother chimed in happily.