Chapter Twenty Three

Warning! The following chapter is mature and may contain themes that are not suitable for all audiences- Aria Jade

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

THREE HOURS EARLIER

ADRIENNE

Sitting quietly as the night fell, my mind wracked with ways to escape. When the sky was dark, I silently scrambled to my armoire, fetching one of my hairpins. My mind whirred, thinking of what to do if this failed.

Creeping to the door, I jammed the pins in the lock. Shaking the doorknob, it didn't open.

Shoving another pin in, I tried again.

The door opened. Stepping into the hallway, I could barely make out my father's snores. Tip-toeing down the stairs; I made sure to be very quiet.

The house was dark and silent as I grabbed my blue cloak, fastening it around me. I slid my feet into my shoes, doing the buckles. I headed out the front door, to avoid the loud creak which the back door often made. The cool air wafted past me as I shivered. It was a cool but seemingly peaceful night.

I trod quietly along the cobblestone streets, gazing upon all the unlit buildings. These are the streets where for years I roamed so freely, no heavy burdens but the sense of never belonging. Even as a little girl, I knew that I didn't belong. I never had multitudes of friends like Elizabeth or Marie; people just tended to shun me.

Reaching the town square, I sat on the edge of the fountain and gazed at the stars. The bright, twinkling stars, nothing could dim the light. Each one, a tiny lantern framing the sky. Few clouds dotted the sky as the gentle breeze brushed past me again.

A sense of peace slowly washed over me, it was such a serene night. I savored the feeling, knowing before long it would be taken from me.

The wind rustled my long chestnut brown hair again. I still stared breathlessly at the sky, the darkness comforting. I closed my eyes and began to hum a soft melody.

Lavender's green, dilly dilly,
Lavender's Blue
When you are king, dilly dilly,
I shall be queen.

Lavender's green, dilly dilly,
Lavender's Blue
If you love me, dilly dilly,
I will love you.

The soft words of the lullaby soothed me, a reminder of a song from long ago. I let myself have another deep, calming breath before I went to see him, my angel.

Standing from the marble fountain, I headed towards the forest, excited to see my angel. I passed the hat boutique and the dress shop, both of which the lights were out. As I made my way down the street, I saw the glow of the tavern and heard the chatter of townsfolk.

I was never a big one for drinking; I didn't crave the out of control feeling nor did I like how it made people act. As I neared the tavern, I made sure to keep my steps quiet.

Just then, the door to the tavern swung open and a group of men clumsily stumbled out. I could barely make out their slurred words but instinctively moved away from them.

"Hey g-girlie, why you-uu running away" one of the men slurred as I blinked. His face looked almost familiar.

"A-Aadrienne" I heard a very familiar voice slur as dread started to fill me. I didn't turn around but kept walking.