Chapter Thirty

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

Helencia Castle
Adrienne

The smiling lady ushered me into a small room. Two other women sat on stools, sewing together what looked to be some kind of fancy woman's garment. They pulled out another stool for me to sit down, and I smiled at the gesture.

"Thank you" I whispered to them, looking down. Then I realized I was still in a soft blush dressing gown. Realizing my state of dress, or rather undress; a rosy hue began to colour my cheeks. I had just run through god knows where in my undergarments!

"Don't worry about it madame." one of the women said politely. I gave her a soft smile in response.

"Oh, how rude of me. I'm Adrienne" I quickly covered; shaking my head at my terrible manners.
"It is fine madame; I am Delphine" the woman who saved me said.
"I am Helene. And I am Odette madame" the ladies sewing replied in turn.

"Please call me Adrienne" I protested. "I do hate formalities".
The three of them chuckled.

"The dress you are making is exquisite!" I complimented.
"Thank you ma-Adrienne. It is for one of the guests" Odette (I think?) replied.

"Forgive my intrusion Adrienne, but what had you in such a state of disarray?" Delphine asked timidly.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. "I was running from him," I said quietly.
"Who?" the three ladies questioned.

"His name is Erebus" I answered.

"WHAT?!" they shrieked, Delphine falling off the stool.
"I-I called him a-a monster. He had these fangs and" I added, hanging my head in shame. "I feel terrible now".

"The king! Y-you called him a Monster?!" the maids looked shocked and upset. I nodded my head in shame.

"Adrienne. You are NEVER to call him that again" Delphine informed me, fury raging in her eyes. I swallowed, ashamed of my actions.

"King Erebus's past makes that word horrendous" Helene chimed in.

Confusion was clear on my face.
"You don't know; do you?" Odette asked as I shook my head.
They all seemed to let out a sigh of relief at that.

Delphine took a deep breath.
"Adrienne, I'm going to tell you a story. It's not a happy one, but a story nevertheless".

I nodded.

"Long ago, in a town called Asteaia" she began.
"That's my town!" I intercepted; "I grew up there".
The three women exchanged a look.

"In the town, a deformed baby was born. He was born with a severely marred face, with a horrible scar running across it. He was discarded by his family and left for dead. But the boy was found and taken to an orphanage" Delphine continued as my eyes watered. How could anyone do such a thing to an innocent child?

"But the orphanage was not a nice place for the boy. He was mocked and tormented; forced to wear bandages over his face. Beaten and starved, day in and day out. The boy was called a Monster, Demon, and much worse" Delphine added as I felt tears trickle down my face. I-i had no idea. What have I done?