Chapter 2

- the tiger and the lion may be more powerful, but the wolf does not preform in the circus

Natasha stepped onto the padded mats, and I could instantly tell that she was into her "assassin mode," and I hoped that she could see I was in mine. She and I circled each other for a few moments, until she attacked first.

She threw two punches which I barely evaded, and then swung her leg out to knock me over. I carefully hopped over it, and delivered my own punches, which barely missed just as hers barely missed me.

"I'll admit, you're good." Natasha breathed, swinging and just nicking my shoulder. "But not good enough." And before I knew it, Natasha had me pinned on my back against the mats. She delivered her famous smirk, holding me there for a moment. Her red hair fell onto my face, and I just noticed that her blue eyes had flecks of green in them. Interesting. She got up, and gave me a hand which I took.

Turning to the main room, I noticed everyone was watching, their faces almost pressed up against the glass windows. "Wow," Peter was in awe, it seemed like. "It's like watching Black Widow fight Black Widow." His words got nods of agreement from the others, and my eyes found Natasha's for a moment, before she broke the eye contact.

"Otlichno srabotano." Pietro seemed impressed, as he leaned against the wall. Well done, my brain quickly translated Pietro's Russian. I liked hearing the words in Russian and English in my head.

"You still got a lot to learn, little one." Natasha folded her arms, but I seemed to have earned her respect. "I'll teach you what you're missing out on." I let myself smile for the first time since arriving.

"Should we set some ground rules?" Tony glanced between the four Russians in the room, which now included myself. "For example, use English?" He gave a specific glance to Pietro, who didn't seem bothered by Tony's direct statement.

Pietro Maximoff the Quicksilver stepped by my side, but not too close. "Tony, my friend, Russian is easier than English for us. When you come to Russia, do we force you to speak Russian?"

"He just feels a little outnumbered," Natasha brushed past us, and poured herself a drink. I noticed everyone had drinks in their hands, except Peter, who was too young. Natasha handed me my drink that I had set down to spar with her. "To Katya Volkov, the Black Mamba." Natasha lifted her glass to everyone, and I noticed Peter poured himself some Pepsi so he wouldn't feel left out. Everyone repeated Natasha's words, and I locked eyes with her. "Za tebya." Her words echoed in my head. For you. I nodded, and sipped my drink.

For a moment, I wondered what it would be like if we were just a group of normal people, just drinking together at a new person in their friend group. What would things be like then? I wanted to know, but shook the thought out of my head. We all had picked this life, and we had to deal with it.

Once my glass was empty, Natasha had set hers down and moved towards me. It seemed as if she was waiting for me to empty my glass. "Come on, Katya," I didn't think twice, and followed Natasha to wherever she was taking me. Perhaps I should have asked. I internally slapped myself for being so willing. She took me into the elevator, and pressed the next floor lower. "No matter how skilled you are, I still think you're too young for this. You and that Peter Parker both." She breathed, eyes drifting onto me.

"I assure you, Natasha, I am very capable of this job. I can do it just as well as any of you, and my age has nothing to do with it." I defended myself.

"I'm sure you can. But that's not what I mean." She exited the elevator, and I was on her heels.

"Then what do you mean?" I asked, and was getting slightly aggravated with her, but didn't let it show on my exterior. I was trained to be calm, collected, and cool. A faceless, mindless soldier.

Natasha turned quickly, and made me freeze in my tracks. There was some emotion in her eyes that I couldn't pinpoint as she stared at me. "I've seen a lot of teenagers throw their lives away and turn to assassination. Hell, I was a child when I turned. I hate seeing kids like Peter do this kind of business." I took slow breaths to keep myself calm. "I was against your recruitment, Katya. You're young, and you deserve a life."

I knew what to say in response. "Miss Romanova, you are only five years older than I am. If I still deserve a life at twenty-two with over a decade of killing in my past, then you deserve a life as well."

Natasha pursed her lips at my words, and her eyes darted around my face. Her inability to read me was frustrating her, and I was enjoying watching her squirm. "Stop that." She frowned at me.

"Stop what?" I asked, resisting the urge to smirk.

"Enjoying that. I know nothing about you except your name and that you were raised like I was. Nothing else, and you're enjoying it."

"Can't help it," I let myself grin when her back was turned, and she continued walking down the hallway.

She stopped and entered a room, and when I followed I realized it was a bedroom. "This is your room now." She announced. "You're living here, we all decided."

"What?" It felt like someone just chained me down. "You all are keeping me here? I can't get a place of my own?"

"This is your own place." Natasha folded her arms over her chest, and leaned on one of her legs. "Taking your age into consideration, and how you do not have any ties to New York, you stay here." I pursed my lips, and she added, "Maybe you do have ties to New York, but we wouldn't know. No one even knew if you spoke English, that's how little we know about you. Until we know more, you're staying here."

"But-"

"No. You stay here. Ponimayu?" She was serious, and it seemed like she was going to be the one to enforce those rules.

"Yes, yes I understand." I nodded, and looked away.

"Good." Natasha pressed her lips up in what seemed to be a smile, but I knew it wasn't real. She was just being polite. "We are glad you came, Katya. There has been a lot of tension in the world, and someone like you will help put the rest of the team at ease. I'll be available if you have any questions, or concerns." I wanted to think that this was rehearsed, but the way she said it was with sincerity, showing she had thought of the words on the spot. She bit down on her lower lip, seemingly nervous, then shook her head as she left.

When the door closed behind her, I whispered, "So you can show emotion, Natasha Romanova."