Chapter 44

- it was never the way she looked, always the way she was. could've fallen in love with her with my eyes closed.

"You're back so quickly?" Natasha almost ran to me when I opened the door. She held my face, checking me for wounds. "Well? Are you human?" I shook my head no and she hugged me. "It's okay, Katya. It doesn't make me love you less."

"He gave me something," I told her, making her let go of me and back up. "It's a blade."

She eyed me suspiciously. "What does it do?"

I pulled out the blade with shaky hands, setting it on the table. I didn't want to think of how many angels the blade has killed. Fallen and current angels.

"It's an angel killer." My voice wasn't strong, but it didn't shake.

In the next moment, the blade was off the table and in Natasha's hands. She looked furious, gripping the golden blade close to her body as if she were afraid I was going to take it from her. And to be honest, I wanted to.

"No." She growled violently. "I am not letting you keep this, Katya. How could you even think about that?"

I held my hand out, open palmed. "Give it back, Natasha," I commanded.

"No!" She raised her voice. "I'm not going to let you kill yourself!"

I sighed, knowing that this was just a normal dramatic human behavior. "I'm not killing myself, Natasha. Give it to me, now."

"What are you going to do? Use your mind to make me give it back?" She seemed hellbent on keeping that blade from me.

Clenching my jaw, I tried to keep my voice even and not raising it. "If it comes to that, I will. But personally, I'd prefer if you just hand it over to me." My hand did not waver as I waited for her to place the blade in my open palm.

"Let me keep it, Natasha. I won't use it, I'll just keep it safe." She tried to reason with me, knowing that I'd get what I wanted either way.

"I need it in my hands, now." I narrowed my eyes at her.

Her face went from pissed to pleading in moments. "Please, Katya. I'm begging you, let me hold onto it. I won't keep it forever, just for now. It'll help me sleep at night, it'll keep me from going insane by knowing you have the only thing in the universe that could end your life, in your possession."

I closed my eyes, feeling a headache coming on. "Fine," I snarled. I hated the idea of Natasha holding onto my property like that, but I really didn't want to use my ability on her.

She made me leave the apartment room for a moment while she placed the blade someplace she claimed only she would know where to search. When she let me back in, she seemed tired and weary.

Natasha carefully placed a hand on my face, resting it against my cheek. "I'm sorry, but you have to look at it from my perspective." She whispered and my eyes drifted to hers. "What if I had a weapon in my hands and it turned out to be the only thing in the entire universe that could kill me?"

"I'd do the same thing you just did," I admitted truthfully. She nodded with a sad smile and kissed my cheek. I put my arms around her and tilted my head down so I could place my face on her neck. "I'm sorry I got so angry. I know you're wary of that idea."

"I'd never let that idea happen." Her voice was hard for a moment but softened. "I know you're sorry and I'm sorry as well. I should have just asked to do my idea in the first place."

"There's a way to make you immortal, Nat," I told her reluctantly.

"How's that?" She asked, pretending to play off her interest. I sighed before telling her about the Oath of Homage. "It's a sort of ancient ritual, almost."