Chapter 37

- all i need is you needing me.

Natasha came in fifteen minutes past ten. I only moved from my spot in the kitchen once and it was to move the box from Lucia's stashing it in the kitchen drawer to in my pocket. I'd just carry it around until I found the right moment to propose. But now I rose again and moved swiftly to Natasha.

I didn't say anything but instead hugged her. She needed a hug, I could tell because as soon as my arms wrapped around her, she buried her face into my neck and sighed.  It was nice to hold her, knowing she was back safe.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." She whispered. I just kissed the top of her head, assuring her it was alright.

"I'm sorry because I never asked you. I'm sorry because I wasn't there for you." I held on to her tightly, as if to make up for the time I lost.

Natasha backed up and met my eyes. "You wouldn't have known. Assassins don't usually have siblings." She looked away, her eyes dark. "I know I don't anymore."

My hand brushed against her face, and her eyes drifted back to me. "I'm sure he's very proud of you," I assured her.

But then, I heard footsteps. The apartment door was still open, and the footsteps were coming closer. I stepped towards the door and eyed a knife stuck in the wooden block on the counter.

"Relax, Katya." Natasha grabbed my hand, pulling me backward. "I want you to meet someone."

I loosened up but still watched the door warily as a cinnamon haired girl stepped inside. I frowned at her, studying her. She wore SHIELD sweatpants tucked into black combat boots, and a black shirt.

Natasha, noticing the tension, stepped in between the two of us. "Katya, this is Ava."

"Ava Orlova." My features softened as I watched her stick her hand out to me. I shook it.

"You know her?" Natasha looked confused.

I shook my head no. "Tony said you were going to Moscow to pick her up."

"It's nice to meet you..." Ava wanted to know my name.

"Katya Volkov," I informed her.

"She was my brother's girlfriend," Natasha said sadly, then turned to me. "Alexei would have liked you. Once he got past your scary and threatening looks, he would like you."

"I'm sure I would have liked him too," I said but then frowned. "Hey, I'm not that scary, am I?" Natasha only smiled, brushing past my arm to close the apartment door. I eyed Ava. "Are you staying with us?"

"Only for a night, if that's alright with you." She was wary of me, and I could see it.

I nodded. "You can take the couch. I'll grab you a few things." I began to walk towards the closet, but Natasha pushed me away.

"I've got it. You talk to her." She smiled.

I turned back towards the girl. Natasha must like her a lot if she wants me to talk to her. Looking at her more closely, she was similar to Natasha. She acted like her too.

"Russian?" I raised my eyebrow. She nodded. "Let me guess...nineteen?" Again, she nodded.

"How do you know this?" She asked me.

"I know everything, kid," I smirked, grabbing three glasses from the cupboard. "Whiskey?"

"Water, thanks." She corrected me, and again I smiled.