Chapter 10

- she has been through hell and comes out an angel. you didn't break her, darling. you don't own that kind of power.

"They're swarming the city," I whispered in horror. There were men and women walking around, each in a suit, wearing a stupid red and black Hydra logo on their left arm.

"I would think so." Natasha went into her bag and pulled out a hat for herself. It was fashionable and black. Was all she ever wore black? She placed it on her head, finishing her little getup. She wore a black skirt suit and the black hat she had just pulled out of her bag. "What are you staring for?" She noticed that I didn't have the jacket part of the suit on. "Get ready, we're leaving now."

I realized that all of last night was gone from Natasha's mind, that now we were back to strictly business. As I pulled on the jacket, I worried that what I said last night was unprofessional and uncalled for. Perhaps Natasha didn't even view me as a romantic option, that's why she said what she said.

Following her out of the hotel, we looked like two important business people that were not to be trifled with. We even had the black glasses down too. 

Upon reaching the airport, I could hear Natasha swear under her breath. I wasn't sure what she was looking at, but when I followed her eyes, I saw three men with guns across their backs, checking each woman that walked through to the boarding gates, or whatever you call them in English.

"They're looking for the two of us together." I frowned. "Split up, we'll meet at our gate."

"What?" Her voice was strained. "No way. We're not splitting up."

I stopped walking, and grabbed her arm, pulling her close to me so I could speak. "Do you see those men over there?" I paused, so she can look back to the gunmen. "They're stopping everyone traveling in pairs. If we walk over there together, this mission will be a failure, and we already went through the hard part of it." I slowly loosened my grip on her arm. "Don't be...be..." Oh no. Did I really forget the English word for it?

"Be what?" Natasha sounded confused.

I am horrified. I really did forget the English word. "Kak ty skazhesh....DIFFICULT." Aha, that was the word I was looking for, but now I have embarrassed myself by not remembering how to say it in English. "Don't be difficult, Natasha."

I let go of her arm, and she adds in an annoyed voice, "There's more than three of them. I can spot seven down the hall, all spread out. This is going to be a little more difficult than I imagined."

"Hey, we were trained for this, remember?" I gave a reassuring smile, and she nodded. "See you soon."

Without another word, we began our walk on opposite sides of the large hall in the airport. We stayed across from each other, to not lose sight, but far enough away that no one would notice it. 

I spotted our gate up ahead. Gate A11 to New York. Almost there. A soldier to my left stops a woman with two children. The one in front of me is questioning two women, and holding my picture. Where were the real police? Did they not notice these men? But as I walked past the one holding my picture, he was wearing the airport security uniform. My stomach turns, and now I worry if anyone else in the airport is in on capturing Natasha and me.

Speaking of Natasha, as I looked across the hall, I noticed with fear that she wasn't there. In a panic, I had stopped for half of a second and turned to see her getting questioned by two soldiers. Keep moving, I coached myself. Get to the gate. Natasha can handle herself.

As I turned to walk, I bumped into someone. With terror, I realized the man had a large gun and was narrowing his eyes at me.

"Let me see your papers." He demanded, in German-accented English. I nodded, and slowly reached into my bag. I didn't have any other papers with me except the ones I had used to go into America. My forged Russian papers that barely passed the examination. "Papers, Miss." The soldier repeated, getting aggravated by my slow moving.