Chapter 38

- she is a storm of roses, dangerous but beautiful.

"Is there a way for me to become immortal?" Natasha's question made me groan, and I touched my head to the table. It was lunchtime, and we were supposed to be relaxing and having a normal civilian meal of sandwiches. "What? I'm serious." She seemed offended by my reaction.

"It's not as wonderful as it seems." I lifted my eyes to meet hers. "For example, everyone you love and know die, except for yourself."

"But there has to be some way to do it, right?" She completely ignored what I had said. "If there's a way to make you human, there has to be a way to make me immortal."

I shook my head, taking our plates to the sink. "No," I said firmly. "I'm not letting you do that. I'm going to become human, okay?"

She stood, leaning against the table. "But what if it doesn't work?"

"It will work." I wasn't so sure of it, but I kept my doubts hidden.

"And if it doesn't?"

"It will, Natasha. I'll make sure of it." Natasha must have believed the sound of my voice because the conversation dropped and we were waiting for Ava to come out of the shower. Natasha was going to drive her back to the Triskeleton where she'd spend some time before returning to Brooklyn. Apparently, she stays with a friend every time she's in New York.

Ava finally appeared, and I shook her hand before she left the room. "I left my number on the notepad near the TV. We should stay in touch, I'm sure there are going to be wonderful things to talk about." The look on her face told me she knew more than she was letting on. My stomach dropped, and I forced a smile on my face. She left with Natasha, once again taking my favorite bike.

I called Tony as soon as they had left. "Find the ring?" Were Tony's first words. Not even a hello.

"Hello to you too," I muttered, almost annoyed but knowing I needed his help. "Yes, actually. I found one that I know will be perfect."

"That's great. I hope you're not going to be late for my wedding." Tony just outright said it. My mind went blank. Wedding? What wedding? Was Tony getting married? "You don't remember, do you?" He sighed.

"I don't think I was ever notified that it was happening." I tried to defend myself with the truth. "This is all news to me. Congratulations, Tony."

"Thanks." He grunted, but I could tell he wasn't unhappy with me. "Tell Natasha to remind you about it. Don't be late, okay? When I get back from my honeymoon in a month, I want to see a ring on her finger." He didn't need to say her name, for me to know who he was talking about.

"You're taking Andrea with you?" Was that the only thing I was concerned about?

Tony noticed this and laughed. "Yes, we're taking my daughter. It's only for three weeks, nothing too bad." He paused before talking again. "I know you called me about the ring and proposing. My advice is to wait until my wedding is over, and a week or two after. She'll be dreaming of being up on that altar with you until then." What he was saying seemed to make sense. "We'll talk later."

"Okay, Tony." I nodded although he couldn't see me. "We'll talk later. Have fun with wedding plans."

"See you then." He hung up.

Is Tony really getting married? This must have happened when I was away. Or when my back was turned. Or something else. I couldn't imagine anything else that could have gotten my attention.

This was good news. I could see how a wedding played out without actually having to be in it. And if Tony was right, Natasha would now be waiting for me to propose, or she might be thinking of proposing herself.

-

Natasha had returned and just like Tony requested, I asked about the wedding. It was two nights from now, and the reception was going to be held in the Tower. Of course, he had room for that.

"What are you planning to wear?" I asked Natasha.

She gave me a flirtatious smile, rising from the chair. She took my hand, and whispered, "I'll show you."

My eyes fluttered as I brainlessly followed her into our bedroom. She began to strip and I moved over behind her, kissing and biting first her shoulder. Then, I moved to her neck. One hand of hers went up around my head as she tilted her head back, closing her eyes in pleasure.

"I'd love to see you in this dress, but seeing you out of it is much more....invigorating." I breathed against her skin, making her suck in a sharp breath of air.

Suddenly she turned us around and pulled my shirt over my head. "I'm in charge this time, Angel."