Chapter 48

- it's all about the first person you want to tell the good news to.

We had to make a few changes in our life before we collected the kids tonight. The first change, would be giving up the one bedroom apartment in Little Odessa and buy a large three bedroom apartment four buildings down from it, still in Little Odessa. The second thing we did was we decorated and put furniture in Roman and Anastasia's room.

For Roman's room, there were light blue walls, a bed with blue and white striped sheets and comforters as well as two pillows. A white bedside table and white dresser. There was a bookshelf that held a variety of children's books, and on the bottom shelf, it held a few stuffed animals. We got a chest which held a few toys inside.

Anastasia's room was light purple, equipped with a crib and changing table, as well as a white dresser. There were stuffed animals lining the crib, along with small cardboard books that the youngest children usually find interest in. 

Of course, we'd have to modify it to fit what they enjoy, but that's what we're starting with. In addition, I needed to get a car seat and a booster seat for the back of my Lexus LS, saying that was the only car I owned with a second row. 

As we sat in the big room along with the team, everyone was chattering nervously and excitedly. No one knew what to expect. All they knew about the kids were what was on the paper, and it wasn't much. It was just their picture, what abilities they possessed, their age, or sometimes their name. Some children didn't even have a name yet.

Two SHIELD agents stepped out of the hallway and everyone fell silent. He instructed us to wait until all the children in the room are brought out, then they will stand still as we go to whichever one we have adopted or decided to foster.

We watched excitedly as ten children were brought out, and it seemed each one of them were standing, but the youngest ones were sitting and looking very confused.

I spotted Anastasia and Roman. Anastasia was sitting next to Roman. She was just as I remembered seeing her. Anastasia had sapphire blue eyes and jet black hair. She was beautiful and looked as if she would continue to grow perfectly. She wore a red shirt and blue pants, all courtesy of shield. I noticed and saw Roman was dressed the same way.

As I looked around the room, the children were dressed differently, except for Wanda and Pietro's two kids, who were dressed the same. I see SHIELD did this so we can find our pairs easily.

Roman, who stood at her side, had light brown hair and deep, chestnut eyes. There was also a thick scar that ran on the right side of his jaw. It started on his cheek and extended down underneath his jaw. I wondered what caused the scar, but realized it was probably something with the experiments they did on the children. 

Once we got the okay to move, Natasha and I carefully made our way towards the two children. I held Roman's necklace and Natasha held Anastasia's.

Roman stared at me as I crouched in front of him. "Hi," Was the first word I said and in Russian. 

"I remember you," He responded in English. I guess he read all about the English language and taught himself in two days. "You talked to me while I was in the cell."

I nodded with a smile. "Your English is very good. You didn't know English the last time I saw you."

"I can learn things faster than anyone on the planet." He told me proudly.

My smile grew. "Do you know your name?"

"RUSS-32." He responded. Sadness struck me, as I noticed they only gave the children numbers instead of names.