Chapter 20

- no matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up, and never give up.

I decided to go to the party thirty minutes later than I was instructed to. One reason, was because I didn't want to have to introduce myself to every single person that walked through the door. I'd rather just come in late, and if someone approaches me, then have to introduce myself.

I wore a black shirt, with a black suit jacket, and black dress pants. It was a simple look, but official enough. It may be too gloomy and black for a baby shower, but it was my way of dressing.

Steve was the first person to see me, and he was dressed sharply in a grey suit, with a black shirt underneath that was unbuttoned at the top. He smiled and walked with me through the party.

"Lots of people," I noted.

"Nervous?" He raised an eyebrow. I scoffed, turning to glance over my shoulder. There were too many people here. I was merely uncomfortable, not nervous. "You don't need to look over your shoulder. Tony has agents in every corner of the room."

"When you live the way I do, looking over your shoulder becomes second nature." I nodded to a few people who walked by. "Where is Tony in this mess?"

"He's with Pepper and Andrea, towards the left of the room. They set up a table over there, well, a few tables. One is already filled with gifts, and the other filled with people."

I glanced around the room looking for Natasha but so far coming up blank. "This is the perfect place for you to find a love interest." Steve winked at me.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Not a bad idea, but I'm already looking for someone who is supposed to be here."

"Me too." He sighed, also looking around. I wondered what he meant by that. Is Bucky not here? "Who are you looking for?"

"No one in particular," I mumbled distractedly.

"Are you looking for a certain redhead?" He hinted, raising his eyebrows. I grinned, shaking my head no. "I don't believe you." He bumped me with his shoulder. "There's got to be something going on between you two."

"You're imagining things, Steve." I chuckled, still searching each woman's face for Natasha's.

I stopped looking and relaxed once my eyes met familiar blue ones, and I looked at the rest of her body. She was wearing a tight black dress that had a low V neck, and a thick black belt around her waist. She smirked when she noticed me checking her out, and I returned the look.

"Am I?" Steve whispered, and I shoved him playfully before making my way towards my redhead.

"Privet, krasavitsa." I did a circle around Natasha, taking in the way she looked.

"Hello yourself." She adjusted my blazer, a smirk still on her lips. I guess she very much approves of my look. "I was looking for you."

"I just got here a few minutes ago. Had a friendly chat with Steve." I glanced back towards him, and he was still looking for Bucky, I assume.

"What did he say?" She hummed, interested.

"Just wanted to know if I was looking for a certain redhead." I smiled at Natasha.

"And what did you say?" She asked, somewhat nervous.

"I said he was imagining things." I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before releasing it. "Are you worried about someone finding out about us?"

She shook her head no. "Not really. I'm just worried what they'll say when they do find out."

"Well," I started. "By the way Steve treated it, he found it a fun way to tease me. I wouldn't worry too much about their reactions, Nat." I tried out a nickname, and her lips twitched up in a smile. "Want a drink?" I asked.