Chapter 23

- she is a secret i now hold. for our love was something that went untold.

At the lobby of the Tower, I demanded the receptionist give me a few hundred thousand in cash and the keys to one of Tony's cars. Of course, she didn't have that kind of money just under the desk, so she had to leave for ten minutes before returning with keys and a large black bag of cash. I thanked her, then placed the idea that all of this was merely a dream in her mind. She accepted it, and I climbed into Tony's car.

It was a very nice car, perfect to get me to see the woman I needed to get papers from, and then to visit the airport.

Upon reaching the house in the hood, I knocked on the front door. It wasn't long before the woman answered. 

"What are you doing here?" She snarled, a cigarette hanging from her lips. "Aren't you supposed to be in hiding?"

"I was. I'm leaving again, and I need you to make me some papers."

She took a long drag. "When do you need them by?"

"Within the hour," I replied without skipping a beat.

The woman snorted at me, flicking ashes off her death stick. "I can't do that. I at least need six hours."

"How does five thousand sound?" I began to count out the hundreds in order to make five thousand dollars. She widened her eyes at the large sum of cash. 

I pushed it towards her, and she felt the money in her hands. "I'm sure I have something in the back.." She gave me another look before disappearing.

I looked at my watch. It was nearly two in the morning. I still had time. Not much, but enough time.

She reappeared a few minutes later, holding a manila folder. "This should be everything. You're a Bosnian. You know the language, right?" She looked to me for confirmation and I nodded. "Good. Alright, your name is Katja, spelled with a j because that's how they Bosnians work, right?" Again, I nodded. "Give me the money, and get out."

I pushed the rest of the money towards her and lifted the manila folder, checking if everything is there. A good Bosnian passport, and forged birth certificates and citizenship papers. Everything was in order, and so I left, throwing my passport in the passenger seat of Tony's car.

On my way to the airport, I booked a flight to Sarajevo, Bosnia's capital. If things were in order, I'd still have the place on the coast in Neum, Bosnia. I'd hole up there and decide my plan of action about this unknown threat. If I stayed with the Avengers, I'd lead the threat right to them.

It was the only chance I had at keeping the people I care about alive.

-

I arrived in Sarajevo hours later, and I knew by now they would be searching for me. Trying to track my phone. Good thing I left it in Tony's car at the airport in New York.

I had bought another car with some of the money I got from the receptionist. I would feel bad about stealing the money, but SHIELD had so much more of it, they wouldn't miss a few hundred thousand.

The drive was a little over three and a half hours from Sarajevo to Neum, but it was nice to arrive at a familiar place. This was one of my three homes in the world. I had three of these little bases. This was a family house, which I bought off of an old family who had almost all but died off. It was six apartments, one flat, and two garages. I enjoyed it and had lived here for around ten years before deciding to appear in America. Coming back was like a breath of fresh air.