Chapter 11

- with you by my side, even hell could feel like home.

"I'm waiting." She was deadly serious and determined to get what she wanted.

I ran my tongue against the corners of my mouth, and sighed, giving in. "I can make people see things. I plant images in their heads, images and thoughts. But it's their choice to accept the images and thoughts. Weak-minded people always do, but the stronger minds I have to work harder with to get them to accept my images and thoughts as their own." At my words, she stared at me, unblinking.

"What did you make the soldier see?" She asked quietly. I had a feeling she didn't entirely believe what I had told her.

"That I was blonde, and had different colored eyes."

She studied my face, and I wondered what she was thinking. "I couldn't see you as a blonde. I like your hair as it is." She gave me a slight smile. "Can you make me see something?"

I blinked slowly, and pictured an image, planting it in her mind. She flinched, and fear was written all over her face as she looked outside of the plane's window. I felt bad for doing this, but I needed to show her it wasn't all good, this power I had.

"I really hope you're making me see that." She gasped, gripping the plane's seats tightly.

"To get rid of it, to make things normal again, you have to convince yourself that what you're seeing isn't real." I watched her expression, and for a moment I feared she wasn't strong enough to push the image of the plane's wing falling apart out of her head. "The plane is fine, it's not falling apart. What you're seeing isn't real, Natasha. Believe it." I was eager to see if she was able to block it out. To get rid of the image I placed in her head.

Natasha's breathing slowed, and she began to calm down. Her eyes weren't as wide and her face wasn't as fear-stricken. After another minute, she moved her eyes back to me. "How did you do that?" She whispered, and I was scared she was going to think I was some sort of monster, and never think of me the same again. Never want to work with me ever again. I opened my mouth to speak again, but she cut me off. "No lies."

"It's part of who I am. It's an ability that I have always had."

"What are you?" She asked confusion and curiosity was etched into her expression.

I flinched at the word what but otherwise tried to keep myself stoic. "You're not going to believe me," I whispered.

"Katya, I know a Norse god, a boy who has spider abilities, and twins where one can run as fast as shit and the other is a witch. Why wouldn't I believe you?" She was honest, and I was hoping that she would believe me when I told her. "I know this may be hard for you to say, but we can only grow from here."

"What do you know about God?" I asked her, and she frowned at me.

"Are you God?" She asked in confusion.

I laughed a short, stressed laugh. "No. But what do you know about God?"

"Uh, I don't know. I'm not as religious as you are. I don't know what I believe." 

I glanced out the window and noticed we were above the water now. There would be hours left before we got to New York.

"Natasha," I started. I was just going to go for it. Just say it and leave it at that, and hope she still accepted me and didn't look at me any different. "I'm a fallen angel." I held my breath, and she stared at me. 

"That's what you were afraid to tell me?" She whispered.

"Well, it's not exactly normal, Natasha." I defended my point of view. "If someone hasn't seen the things you have, they wouldn't have believed me if I told them I was a fallen angel." The two words are what I barely get out. They're strained, and I have such a hard time saying them.