Chapter 6

- be a girl with a mind, a woman with attitude, and a lady with class.

I trained and worked my ass off for the rest of that week, and halfway through the next week. I needed to show them that I was capable of running with them, and the second I step into danger I won't die. They needed to realize that, and they needed to trust me. Isn't that what a team was all about?

Fifteen minutes into the next meeting one and a half weeks from the night they allowed me to take Peter's spot, they decided it was too dangerous. "Not enough information," They said. "We can't go in blindly." I had pursed my lips, closing my eyes to regain composure.

I was mad. No, I was fuming. This was supposed to be my chance to shut them all up about me being too young for the team. I could have kept them quiet for good. Steve told me that I was a really promising member of the team, and I could grow to be more gifted than Natasha.

But now, they were throwing away my chances to prove myself early. I had to wait for a different time to go out there, and who knows when that will be? Maybe Peter will get healthy by then, and they all will rethink the option of letting me come with them.

Three more supers had come and rejoined the team two days ago. Ones who I know, and have studied quite a bit. Bruce Banner, Bucky Barnes, and Thor Odinson. I knew them all by name, but they didn't know who I was.

"Katya Volkov." I introduced myself, shaking each of their hands.

The god of thunder stared at me, very curious. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he grinned. "You are very much like Natasha. You even do the same facial expressions."

"We grew up in similar organizations," I explained.

"Similar, not the same, Thor." Natasha came up behind me before Thor could say anything more. "She's a gifted fighter, and pretty intelligent." I watched Natasha speak, and she didn't so much as look my way as she complimented me.

Thor clapped me on the shoulder, saying, "You have already won Natasha's friendship, it seems like. Therefore I trust you."

I glance to Natasha who seems uncomfortable with the word friendship, and I resist throwing a smug look towards her.

"Thank you, Thor." I gave the god a smile, and he walked away towards Peter who was trying to figure out how to wheel himself around with only one arm.

I turned to Natasha, but she was already walking away. I frowned at her retreating image, and wonder what spooked her.

A voice startled me, but I relaxed knowing it belonged to Wanda. "What?" I frowned at her. I hadn't heard what she said, I was too focused on wondering where Natasha was going.

"She's a very interesting woman, that Natasha," Wanda repeated herself.

"Yeah, I guess." I shrugged, playing off the fact that I completely agreed with Wanda, and that I wanted to know more about the assassin. 

"You enjoy her company," Wanda gave a curious smile. "You enjoy...her."

"I enjoy her company as much as I enjoy the company of everyone else." I retorted quickly, making Wanda's smile grow.

She shook her head, standing in front of me so I looked at her. "You have feelings for Natasha." She smiled a knowing smile, and I widened my eyes at her. "You forget, Katya, I can hear your thoughts."

"That's not intimidating at all," I grumbled, sitting on the armrest of the couch. Wanda sat next to me, on the actual couch, and pat my leg.

"Don't worry, I won't say anything." She reassured me.

"You better not." I gave her a glare, then softened up. She wouldn't do that to me. I may have only known Wanda for two weeks, but she has become a friend of mine, and perhaps the one person besides Steve that I trust.

Speaking of Steve, he interrupted me and Wanda's conversation with an apology. "Natasha and I would like to speak with you," Steve said, and something in his eyes told me it was important. Wanda winked at me, and I gave her a glare in return.

Steve led me into the elevator, and I didn't ask what he and Natasha needed to talk to me about. I just stayed silent, following him out of the elevator and into a large room with lots of technology. I recognized this as Tony's little workshop or something that resembled a workshop.

Natasha was leaned up against a table, waiting and watching Steve lead me towards her. I'll admit, she was very intimidating. She hardly cracked a smile and gave looks that could kill. I was beginning to get very curious about what she and Steve needed to talk to me about.

"Katya," Natasha's serious voice broke into my thoughts. "The reason why we can't go on that mission is that of lack of information." I was a little deflated, hearing this sentence. She was going to try and justify the reasoning of why I can't go on any missions with the team. "But we just found out how we can push the odds more in our favor the next time we go back there." I got interested real quick.

"Tell me more," I demanded.

"Hydra has a small base on an island off the coast of Barcelona, Spain." Steve grabbed a map of Spain, circling a small island across from Barcelona. "They have a large weapon shipment heading into the middle east, to ISIS. One of those weapons is nuclear." I nodded, really getting interested in this. "You and Natasha are going to have to go inside of the base and intercept the plans that are going to be given to an Officer Kruger. You have to go in, assassinate Kruger and the Doctor Hummel."

"What did the doctor do?" I questioned.

"He created the nuclear weapon, and he's the only one who knows the plans for the weapon sales. By taking out Kruger and Hummel, you're making sure that no one gets the plans, and the ones who know of the plans never make them again."

"So you want Natasha and I to go in, assassinate Kruger and Hummel, steal the plans and get out without making so much as a squeak."

"Yes." Natasha and Steve nodded to me.

I hummed, thinking about this, or at least trying to. "When do we leave?" I rubbed my hands together, eager to get on this little side mission.