Chapter 8

Jordyns's POV

As I wake up I see that Alex is no longer here. I wonder why? I know for a fact that he came to bed with me. Was I snoring? Oh my lord, if I was snoring while he was staying over: I would drop dead.

I roll over to reach my phone. I check to see if Alex sent me a message as to why he disappeared this morning. To my disappointment, no. Alex vanishing was a mystery of history.

Although I did get four texts and two voicemails. The four texts were from Megan and the voicemails were too. What is going on? What happened?

I immediately call Megan even though she won't answer bec-.

"Jordyn!"

"Megan I'm right here. What's wrong?" I can hear her heavy sobs through the phone.

"I-it's m-m-mike!" Oh no. This is bad. So very very bad.

"What, what happened?"

"H-he got-t into a-a c-car acid-dent." This time her sobs came in as an angry rage.

"It was the stupid other driver! He was texting and driving and collided head on with Mike!"

This is so much to take in right now. Mike is hurt and in the hospital by now, I'm guessing.

Megan tried calling me and texting me, and I was too busy focusing on Alex. I am a terrible friend.

"What hospital is he at? I need to see him."

"Cloon Hospital."

"Ok. Where are you now?"

"I'm at home, I can't drive remember?"

"Yes I remember. I'm going to stop by and pick you up. We're going to go see Mike."

"Ok." With that she hangs up the phone. Ugh I still need to get completely ready. This is not going to be done in twenty minutes that's for sure.

-------

----

"Excuse me, ma'am. Is Michael Brown having visitors yet?" The lady who is sitting at the desk turns her head towards me then back down to the computer. Hopefully checking what I asked.

"No, I'm sorry."

"Well, is he ok?"

"I'm not permitted to shair that information. Please have a seat in the waiting area."

"Wait, when can we see him?"

"First his immediate family members visit with him, then friends. Are you an immediate family member?" This is annoying. They should know that Mike doesn't have an immediate family, or any family at all actually.

"No, b-"

"Then you may not see him until his family has. Please go sit in the waiting area."

This lady has the nerve to tell me I can't see Mike -my best friend and practically my brother.

Megan can see my anger boiling up inside me because she grabs my shoulders and pulls my to the seats in the waiting area.

That lady's voice is something fierce. She sounds snobby and rude. I can't stand it.

Megan and I sit at the hospital for multiple hours before the imbecilic lady tells us we can see him. One at a time though.

When I stop in front of the door I turn to look at Megan.

"You go first." Thank god. I really needed to see him.

I turn back and grab the cold, germ-free handle and push. The door unlocks and I smell the sterile metal in the room in a matter of seconds.

I walk in slowly and shut the door. I pull back the curtain just a little to see mike laying on the bed with tubes and IVs connected to him.

His eyes are closed and his leg is slung in the air by some fabric. It looks like he is breathing on his own, which is good.

I don't think he will be able to respond to me so it's better if I don't talk. I walk over to the bed, sit, and grab his hand.

I have no words. My mind is blank. It's like an empty trash can: nothing inside. There is only one thing I can say to him and sum everything up.

"Mike, I love you and I need you to stay with me. Please." I do love him as a friend though. I'm not in love with him, I just love him. Those are very different things.

He does nothing for a couple of minutes, but as I sit here I think I feel his hand tighten around mine. Just the slightest but though. Then it's gone. Any recognition of me being here is ripped away.

I'm sitting with someone who doesn't even know I'm here. He could think I'm somewhere else, partying with Megan or Alex. No, I'm right here Mike. In a time when you need me most, I'm here.

---------

-----

I get up and walk out. If I stay any longer than I will cry. When I see Megan outside the door I can tell she is nervous and afraid.

Her hair is everywhere, she is biting her nails, and her eyes are glossy. Key signs to knowing if Megan is upset.

I nod to her signaling for her to go in. She drops her hand and rushes in. When she is completely in the room I turn around and sit by the door.

I pull out my phone and text Alex.

"Hey, don't know why you left but it's fine. At hospital with Meg. See you tomorrow.-J"

I don't want him to worry where I am if I don't answer his calls. I don't want him to feel guilty that he left, I just want him to know where I am that's all.

"What happened-A"

"Mike, car accident, this morning. He'll be ok though.-J"

"That's good. Do you want me to come to the hospital?-A"

"No-J"

I don't know why, but I don't want to see him right now. I don't think I'm mad at him. I think I just need to focus on my friends. If that means that Alex and I need a break, then so be it. My friends were always there for me so I need to be there for them. And right now it seems like Alex is just coming in between my friends and I. I don't like it. Some things are going to change. I don't know if it's for the better or worse, but they're going to change.