Chapter 9

I grab Megan and pull her out of the hospital. She is too upset to stay here and sulk. I decide that I am going to take her out to get her mind off of things.

What is a place she would always enjoy? Hmm. She enjoyed ice cream, but she went with Mike the other day to get some. I know for a fact that ice cream probably wouldn't help.

The only other place I can think of was this old nail and hair salon on the other side of town. Whenever she was upset she would go there and get a pedicure. She said it helps to 'relieve the soul from all daily sins.' That was bulls***.

When I turn on the car Megan begins to sober up.

"W-where are w-we going?"

"It's a surprise."

"The last time I got a surprise Mike got in a car accident. I don't want any more surprises please and thank you."

Way to go, stupid. I don't want to get her more upset, and I don't think of things like her. Most people think surprises help others feel better. Well next time you should actually use your pretty little head of yours.

Wow my conscience is being really brutal today.

It's your fault. Ugh just go away

"I'm so-"

(Play video here)

"Stop, it's fine." With that I turn on the radio and drive out of the car park.

"Why are we listening to this?" I chose 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' before driving away.

"Because it matches the mood, duh." I reply in a how-could-you-not-see-that tone.

***

"Are we almost there?" She pouted

"Um, I think."

"You think? Are we lost?" The answer to that is yes. We are definitely lost; no doubt.

"Psh, ha. No?"

"We are so lost. Tell me where we are going so I can help." She demanded. I didn't want to ruin the surprise, but if I didn't say something we would stay lost forever.

"Fine we are going to that nail place you like. The one the 'relieves the soul'."

"Oooo, goody goody. Well turn left here, then go straight, and take another left."

She knew where we were almost immediately. It's like she is here all the time. It's like she knew this part of town like the back of her hand.

As we pulled into the closest spot available she began clapping. She acted like a crazed women.

"Yay!" Her scream was so high pitched. I thought my eardrums were going to bleed.

"Yeah, yeah. You're welcome. Now go pick a color."

"You're the best, Jordyn." Funny thing is, I already knew that.

She ran in like a three year old and greeted everyone. They all acted like she was part of their family. They ran up and hugged her, or waved, and even blew her kisses.

How often was this chick here? Stop it conscience. You don't have to be so mean.

I really need to stop answering that devil. It only causes me stress. I mean who wouldn't get stressed over it? You are literally talking to yourself.

"- listening to me?"

"What? Sorry I guess I spaced out."

"Shocking. I Kind of already put that together, Braniac."

"Well, someone obviously woke up on the wrong side of bed today."

"Pick what color." She held out two colors in her hand. One was a mixture between yellow and orange. Somewhat like the sunset. The other was a deep blue. It is darker than the deepest part of the ocean.

"Um, I say you go with the... Ugh, yellow thing."

"Thanks Jor."

"No prob."

We probably sat there for about an hour before we were able to leave. We talked about everything.

Animals. Dogs are and were always my favorite. College. I want to go wherever you go. Teachers. They all suck. Guys. They are way to hard to figure out. Alex. He's the biggest pain in our butts right now.

They were all comfortable conversations seeing how Megan and I have always been best friends. As soon as she saw me that day with my papers all over the ground we have been friends.

I have to admit. Im glad for once that Maddie bullies me because if she hadn't that day then Megan wouldn't have met me.

We were driving home and all I could think of was when Megan stopped to help me. I wanted to thank her for that day but never could muster up enough courage to do so.

I guess today would work though, right? Here it goes.

"Thank you."

"For?" she asked

"Helping me after Maddie dropped my papers in the hall that day."

"Oh it's fine. If I hadn't done it we wouldn't be friends."

"I know, I just wanted to thank you since I never did before."

"Well, you're welcome."

After that we started driving home in complete and utter silence. When I walk through the door I realize the silence isn't going to last long because my mother is home and furious.