Chapter 3

POV: Kayoko

"Link Start!"

I stand in a black room, the login room and a pop up hovers in front of me that asks for my name. Without hesitation, I type in 'Kira' as a substitute for my real name. I decided on Kira because it wasn't too far from my real name but was close enough that it wouldn't feel weird when people called be that.

I press the circle to confirm my name and a few other pop ups appear, explaining the mechanics of the game, but I just brush those aside. I already know how to play.

And finally, after too many pop ups, it asks me where I want to spawn of the first level and I pick the main plaza as it is the closest to the meeting place me and Kyozo decided.

Then I am dropped into the bustle of the plaza. In the centre stands a fountain and around it, shops and stalls advertise everything from swords to healing potions. Players crowd around each one, interested in the product on display, some even burning through their automatic given coins.

From the main plaza, several streets lead off and I take the one to my right, having to dodge eager players running about. It doesn't take me long to reach our meeting place out of the gaggle of people.

I deliberately choose a place that wouldn't be too crowded so that we wouldn't lose each other. I also choose the sector of the main city that was the closest to the fields as it is the most important for Kyozo to learn the basic skills to get ahead of the other players.

Our meeting spot is a tree that curls around a lamp post and next to it, in between the sprawling roots, a bench stands. And next to that bench stands a boy with his hands shaped in to an X.

Kyozo.

He hasn't changed any major features, unlike me. He still has his copper hair sticking up in a familiar fashion. I guess the only thing different is what he is wearing. Which for Sword Art Online, is very simple. Something you could wear on the real world.

A tan jacket is worn over a white t shirt and black jeans. Belts wrap around his torso like the ones strapped around mine and boots similar to mine on his feet.

He looks kinda stupid standing there behind the bench with his hand in an X. I smile. Maybe playing this game with him won't be bad after all.

I stroll up to him and when I am about a metre away, I make an X with my hands like him.

"Kayoko?" He tilted his head, questioning.

"That's Kira to you, Kyozo."

"Call me Kyo then." his infamous smile on his face.

**********

So we gonna get some weapons?" Kyo asks as we stroll down the streets of the town of beginnings. It is loud from the hum of people's voices and the pounding of boots against the hard beige stone that echoed through the narrow streets.

"I don't know but what I do is that we, well more specifically, you need to practice our, I mean your skills."

"What!" Kyo's body droops with disappointment, "Why can't I be like you already?"

"Because you weren't in the beta." I say quietly, avoiding attention but then say louder "You are lucky you have me, really."

"I think you have a loose definition of lucky." Kyo's eyes seems to catch on of the swords on display as he stops to examine the item. Among the land of swords stored on a velvet purple cloth, Kyo's eyes pick the flashiest one.