Oneshot: Christmas with Kirisuna

I know this is something new that I haven't tried before. But it's Christmas, and I thought why the heck not. This oneshot takes place at the end of season 1, after the fairy dance arc. I hope you enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

POV: Asuna

I pull the blankets closer to me, thinking of the blistering cold wind I can hear blowing past the hospital window in howling bursts. Rather than drifting downwards, the snow dances sideways to the wind's shrieks, causing the storm of white to barely be contained by the pane of glass.

In absence of company, my thoughts drift to Kirito. What will he be doing on his first Christmas outside SAO? Passing a cake piled high with cream and strawberries after stuffing themselves through with food? Curling up with his family to watch Christmas movies pulled from dusty CD cases; the classics that they'll only watch once a year. I clench my fist at the image, that I can't be with them because of this stupid, weak body of mine.

I can only take it slowly, the doctors say. So, I won't be stuffing my face with cake while watching movies and admiring the presents stacked on my bedside table. I'll sit and watch the snow drift past, or inch my body along the bar exercises long enough that the memories are so far back in my mind that they don't exist.

Even now, I can feel his hands on my body. Even now, I can only think of his face when Kirito grabs my cheek. He never touched this body, this thin fragile form. I don't get why when I close my eyes, even when I'm here here, all I can think of is him, when it is Kirito I want to think of instead.

Reality isn't as I remember it to be; there is so much less joy, so many things I should've appreciated. How easy walking had been, how easy sleep had come to bless me with its peace, how easy it had been to let my body grow heavy. My eyes close, sleep embraces me. And then he comes for me.

I let him come for me.

************

I bolt upright. I clench the sheets to me like the armour I used to wear. The armour that made me strong, a vice commander to a monster, strong enough to sacrifice my life for what I love. I'd do it against me again if it means he would live.

Kirito stands in the corner. I stare, scared that even a blink, the phantom will disappear. He holds a box in his hands, the plaster from his fight with him leaving a faint scar across his skin. At my expression, he drops everything, the box clattering, spilling tinsel and causing baubles to roll.

He touches my hands, my arm as if he too is afraid that it's all another illusion. With his eyes serious, he asks, "are you alright?"

"Kirito, what are you doing here?" I pass my eyes past his towering form to the Christmas decorations on the floor.

"Are you alright?" His eyes run over me, scanning. They hold a challenge, to see who will break first and answer the other's question. The silence holds until I sigh and I  whisper softly,

"It was him again."

His expression darkens, grip tightening on my hand, letting me know that I'm not here alone. Never again. With him, I'll never be alone again. He doesn't offer up any comforting words, for he knows they'll all miss their mark.

"You can't sleep, can you?" In answer, I can only shake my head, for words with my throat this tight would only come out in a strangled gasp. I move to sit upwards but he gently pushes my shoulders down.

"You should rest."

I can't help but retort, "and you shouldn't be here."

He smiles; it doesn't quite reach his eyes. "I'll be here with you. I'll be here all night so don't be afraid. Sleep, Asuna."