Chapter 10

POV: Kayoko

A couple of months after you have been stuck in a virtual reality game with swords, your arms get a bit tired after swinging them around for hours on end.

"Kyo!" I call from the other side of the rock field, waving my hand in the air. "Wanna head back to the inn?"

It had been like this every day really, training, eating, sleeping, more training. We have tried to stay away from the front lines though, not wanting a whole repeat of the beater and the niecer incident.

Not saying that we have been slacking off, we have been doing the exact opposite of that in fact, training and raising our levels the best we can.

"Yeah sure," Kyo saunters over with his usual swagger, bow swung over his shoulder and knife hanging out of his other hand.

"Any results?" I ask flatly, stretching my arms out, the bones cracking with a sickening click.

"Kyozo Katuo reporting for duty," He stands straight, giving me a mocking salute. "Currently at level 45, Commander Kira!"

I give him a lazy salute back with a small smirk, "Commander Kira still beats you Cadet Kyozo."

"What level?" He says dryly 

"You buy dinner and I will tell you!"

Our inn is placed in a quieter part of town 26 and in a floor above us, planning for the storming of floor 27 could be taking place. The sun is setting as we wave through the crowds, the street lights only just beginning to glow.

"So where are we going?" Kyo questions, his voice riddled with annoyance. 

"I don't know, your paying." I shrug.

"I don't know how I have lived with you for 6 months."

We stop our conversation as we head to the nearest of the identical restaurants found all over the game world, each selling the same type of food. I sighed. At least it wouldn't burn the bank.

I choose the table the furthest away from everyone else, right in the corner of the wooden building, lit with candles, bodies of players casting a shadowy light over the wood. 

As we sit down, the notification lights up, asking for what we want to eat. I push the thing over to Kyo with a flick of my finger and he raises his eyebrows, stiffening an eye roll. 

"What do you want to eat?"

"Cake," I mumble, my jaw moving against the hand that holds it, elbow on the table. 

"But you can't eat cake, you had cake yesterday!"

"Well, I will have a strawberry cake this time rather than a chocolate one okay, Cadet Kyozo?"

A heavy sigh escapes him as he picks the cake I wanted, then whatever he wants and pays, the food spawning with a flash of blue light.

This is the reason me and Kyo don't tend to cook, like at all. Maybe cooking here isn't as complicated, but it is still a big hassle. Plus you don't have to wait.

I dig my spoon into the vanilla cake, the white chocolate icing melting into bliss on my tongue. The red strawberry sits at the top part of the cake, which I deliberately avoid until the rest of the cake is done.

No sooner after I had finished shoving the first spoonful of cake into my mouth does Kyo ask impatiently, "What level are you then?"

I force myself to swallow the heavenly desert before I wanted to, smiling before saying low under my breath. "Fifty."