Chapter 60

POV: Kayoko 

Heathcliff's office is more open than the rest of the corridors you have to weave through to find yourself at the top of the castle-like structure the Knights of the Blood Oath call their headquarters. Large windows span one side of the wall, giving a perfect view of the square and the players gathered below, going about their day. 

From where his desk is placed, the shape of it appears like a dark shadow in a sea of light blue sky. I try to focus on the view rather than the person in front of me and the things I'm about to say to them. 

"It's nice to see you again Kira," he greets me, standing up from his chair in one smooth motion, despite the bulkiness of his armour. The gesture is supposed to make me feel as though my reason for being here is important, though the added height just makes me swallow back the nerves in my stomach. 

I wish it didn't need to come to this. 

"Take a seat," he gestures towards the one in front of him. "I'm sure we have much to discuss."

I do as he suggests. Not out of compliance but because having the chair under me is like an anchor, something to grab onto in the choppy waves of my shaking legs. Kyo always says that while Heathcliff is intense, he's a good person. He'll speak up for injustices in the front line, he'll listen to your opinions on stratages, understand someone needs a break just to get away from it all. There's a reason others regonise him as the universal leader of the front lines over Jiao, even if she has the biggest guild. He understands what it's like to be on the front lines. 

I'm hoping he understands this too. 

"Has there been any progress in my case?" I ask, though I'm sure I already know the answer. 

He sighs. "I'm afraid not. Our team is working hard to find evidence - on either side - but these things can be hard to investigate without bodies or witnesses. It might have occurred several months ago, but there are still people demanding answers to this case. And as the only people allowed into that facility that day, you and Shi are the perfect scapegoats, regardless of actual guilt." 

I purse my lips together, trying to squeeze the undoubtedly sour expression on my face. "I know it's hard but please bare with it a little longer." Heathcliff leans forward, both elbows braced on the desk, the movement so familiar that it strikes me a little off balance. 

"I'm sorry?"

"This wasn't the only reason for your visit. Wouldn't I be wrong in saying that?"

"No you wouldn't." I say shortly. I hate the way he can read each of my moves before I make them. I hate the way he smiles at me, trying to be gentle when all that's behind it is pity. 

"I want to discuss changing some of our rules." Heathcliff raises an eyebrow but let's be continue. "You know I want to fight but to me it's also more than that. I don't want to sit around while I hear news trickle down about all the work you're doing to clear the floors above when I know I can be of more help when I'm fighting. Use me."

He weaves his fingers together into a fist. "I understand your frustration. It has, after all, been a couple of months that you have been torn away from your regular routine." I can hear the caution in his voice, like the syllables are tiptoeing over shattered glass, careful not to cause further damage. Though I can sense the refusal coming, when he says it, the feeling in my chest plummets. 

"However, I would not be able to be accountable if you die on the front line and you are responsible for the crime you are being accused of. This is a grave matter, Kira. While you may not view the value of these lives in your eyes,"