Chapter 59

POV: Kayoko

Creeking on the outside porch startles me awake. Beside me, Asuna has curled into herself, her head resting on the headboard of the chair and light filters through the thin curtains, signalling the turn from night to day. I frown, blinking the sleep from my eyes as I stand, glancing across to Yuha. She has turned over in her sleep, arm tugging the duvet closer to her body which now appears to be solid as though nothing happened.

I take care in opening the door, not wanting to wake either of the two and comb my fingers through my hair in an attempt to make it somewhat presentable. I walk towards my own room, a space located towards the front of the cabin, so that I can check whatever the noise is coming from the decking.

When I first glance out the window, the angle I can see below is obstructed by the slanting roof and guttering below but I can make out the silhouettes of the guards posted outside the door standing alongside the shadow of another. I hear faint voices, the echo of a familiar laugh. Kirito.

Something unravels inside of me, the knot of worry for his safety disappearing. It's one thing to see a menu display for it but to see the proof makes it all the more real. A smile works its way up my face despite the early hour. I make my way down the stairs slowly, hoping he and the guards make quick work of whatever conversation they're having as I have no interest in being dragged into it.

I wait at the bottom of the stairs, remaining out of view. As he enters, Kirito raises an eyebrow but waits until he closes the door until he speaks, understanding my reluctance to talk to the other players. "I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome."

I stretch a worn smile on the sides of my lips. I don't know whether it looks like a smile anymore. "I'm sure Asuna will give you a colder one when she comes down,"

Kirito shrugs off his jacket, hanging it along with several others on the overflowing coat hanger and beelines his way towards the kitchen. His voice comes fainter as he replies. When following the corner of the room, I find his head is stuck partway into the kitchen cabinet as he searches, seemingly for something to eat. "I'll look forward to that then." 

"Did it go successfully?" I ask, pushing myself up so that I sit on the countertop, swinging my legs childishly off the edge. Every so often, I kick them too far, my heel bouncing off the laminate and ending a muffled echoing bang around the space. He nods in answer as he closes the cupboard.

"Can I see it?" Kirito swipes to call up his menu, a sword hilt falling through the air to meet his palm seconds later. The sword shines a light, almost green-blue, the edges of the blade catching the sunlight as he passes the hilt to me. It's lighter than I expected but solid.  "It's beautiful." I breathe, slicing the sword sideways, feeling how it parts the air in front of me. 

Kirito's lips curve upwards before he turns his back to me, reaching for the brown paper bag on the side. "It's dragon poop."

I almost drop the sword. "Excuse me?"

"I'm sure you heard me right the first time, Kira." He says, his voice laced with silent laughter. For a few seconds, the only sound is Kirito dragging butter across his bread with a knife. 

"Your sword is made of dragon poop?"

"Yeah," he shrugs, as though its not a big deal but I see the teasing glint in his eyes, the way he forces his lips downwards to portray a coolness he doesn't have. 

Quickly, I hand the sword back, the design seeming less cool now I know the process of gathering materials. "Tell me it's been sterilised," I say, running my hands down my skirt to wipe the grip of the hilt off, more out of habit than anything else.