Chapter 14

POV: Kayoko

They told me this word was a world of possibilities. Of swords, and excitement and battles beyond what our world could offer us.

This world offers us most of the same things; the beautiful blend of colours in a sunset or vast green expanse of a field.

The real world is no different from this one on a technical level, but there is so much more than that.

In the real world, we have responsibility. School, work, friends and family. We are committed.

Here, though, we are free to make what we want of it. I have nothing to hold me back from doing anything.

The two worlds aren't that different. So I don't understand why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

But both worlds have the same taint on them; the shadow of death hangs like a noose around our neck, threatening to press just a little too hard so that breath is squeezed out.

And that is it, we are dead.

Death is everywhere, wherever we go, it follows. I think that is why we as humans have such a natural aversion to death.

It is merciless, striking out with its fingers to touch whoever happens to be walking by.

Your age, gender, job, wealth, name. They are all meaningless in the face of death.

I am meaningless in the face of death.

Still, I am taking a stand. Because in the real world, he would be dead. But here, I still have a chance, that maybe.

And I clutch it tight.

I don't have to be worth anything in the face of death. I have something worth much more than my fear, more than anything.

My muscles burn from darting straight up this hill, between groups of players trying for their luck like we were before all this.

Swiping my two fingers in the air, I call up my menu, selecting my strongest sword and sheathing it at my side.

Whilst picking out a couple of healing potions, I slam right into one of the players, caramel haired.

"Watch where are you going..." The player mumbles, rubbing head.

I stare at him, taking in the freckles dotted across his nose and the unusually long eyelashes framing his eyes.

It hits me then, that I have been staring for far too long.

"Ugh...umm..." I seem to lose all the words that my brain has collected over the years.

I think I am going insane.

"Sorry!" I leap up, bow and stutter out my apology before starting out in my sprint again.

I think I needed someone, something right then to knock into me, to send all the broken fractures of my brain back into place.

It finally feels like I can think again, I can navigate around my brain.

I said I was sorry to that player. But what I really wanted to say was

"Thank you."

*************

"Wait! Kira, please stop!" Keita finally manges to catch up with me, breath coming in a strangled wheeze.