Chapter 20

This chapter will include sensitive themes such as suicide and cutting. If you are sensitive to any of these things, then please don't read.

I have experienced none of this, so anything I have based my writing off is from what I have read and not what I have personally experienced. I would like to apologize if I got anything glaringly or offensively wrong.

But most importantly, to those of you who do experience this, there is one thing out of all of this that you must take away: the world isn't always such a bad place.

I promise.

POV: Kayoko

Words can't do justice to express the feelings inside me. Words cannot explain how sorry I am for all that has happened. Words cannot begin to express the thing inside me.

But words can explain this.

"I want to kill my uncle and end Sword Art Online for good. And I'll need your help with that." I say it plain and simple. No expression in my voice other than a flat tone.

If I had the time, I would grieve. I know I would, perhaps not much but that doesn't change the fact I feel an emotion close to sadness when I say the words.

It feels better. In a sense that I have shared a secret no one should know. It feels dangerous and exciting and frightening.

It tingles up my skin as Kirito only nods. Words cannot express the feelings inside him as much as they can't inside me.

In silence, we make our way out of the dungeon. In silence, we teleport to the square. In silence, we contact Keira and wait beside a balcony, and watch the sunset in the same way; silence.

Just beyond this floor, it is only clouds and the tinge of the sun glinting. It is pretty for something that could kill you. Like a sword. Or a dagger. A bow.

There is a single shadow in the distance. And it takes its time to walk over to the two of us as if trying to delay the inevitable.

"Keita..." I trail off when he puts up his hand to stop me. From where I stand, I can see the tears in his eyes that have dried and the ones that are still running.

"They are dead, aren't they?" His voice cracks. "Kyo told me."

"Keita...I'm sorry."

I don't know any other words than I am sorry at this moment. Nothing else fits. But the words don't feel sincere enough.

You can say "I'm sorry" when you bump into someone on the street. And yet you can say "I'm sorry" for when a person dies.

Why isn't there any other word that could tell him? There isn't so I say it over and over again, a record broken.

I want him to understand. I want him to know that I tried my best. I want him to know I am sorry.

He smiles the sad kind, the one that hides a mask of tears. "Well, at least I owe it to them to smile when I die."

"Wait, Keita, what do you mean? What about Kyo? Is he okay? Please. Please, Keita." The tears come from nowhere, a trail of salt down my face.

He walks towards the balcony and stares out into the sunset "I can't take this anymore."

I rush forward, reality hitting me like a truck from a high way on an invisible bridge that he jumps off.

My fingers brush his but he falls before I can grab them, a smile on his face the whole way down.