Chapter 32

POV: Kyo

I stride after Asuna, like I've always done. It seems strange that I've always followed rather than lead. I guess it's just the type of person that I am; unsure, unstable. That's why I quicken my pace, I don't want to be left alone again.

"Asuna, wait, slow down."

"No," she snaps, turning another corner.

"I know you're angry at me." I try, reaching for her shoulder. She ducks under my touch, teeth grinding the words out,

"Anger doesn't even begin to cut it." Her hands fall in the shape of claws, seeming to grasp at the feelings she is trying to pour into words, "I'm furious!"

"Then, what have I done wrong?" She whips her head back, stopping off again, almost not bothering to swerve past a patch of flowers in her path.

"It's not you who's made me angry," she says quietly.

"Then, if it's Kira,"

"No, that bastard Kirito," I raise my eyebrows. She only calls him that when Kirito says something she doesn't agree with. I smile a little, remembering all the other times I've had to listen to rants like these after coming out of floor raid meetings.

Thinking about it, it was always me who stopped Asuna, and Kayoko who stopped Kirito. I'd dread to think what would've happened if we weren't there. From the opening and closing if Asuna's fists, it might have involved strangulation.

"How could he say something like that!"

"Something like what?" I sigh exasperatingly, knowing what's coming next.

Her eyes crinkle in an over exaggerated scowl, her voice dropping to a low tone, "you could have been great, but oh well you won't because you don't know enough." Her lips twist into a position perfect to spit onto the pavement in disgust, arms crossed over her chest.

"Your Kirito impression gets better every time." Doubling over, I pant the words out, thankful she's finally stopped moving. She waits for me to recover before we start moving again, this time at a slower pace.

We pass the squares clustered with benches and the groups of players enjoying their breakfasts in the cool morning air. Asuna doesn't speak another word, though I can tell from her expression that Kirito's words still weight heavily in her. What did he say that make her eyes appear so dark?

Finally, she breaks the silence in an empty alley, her hand subconsciously gripping the sword around her waist, "Kyo, what does it feel like when being compared to him and Kira?

"Honestly? It makes me feel stupid." I shove my hands in the pockets of my overcoat and continue walking towards the sign at the end of the e alley, advertising breakfasts with a free drink in white chalk. I fixate my thoughts on whether I should bring the others here later, rather than my answer.

"Exactly. You weren't in the beta test, were you? You're exactly like me. We've started from the bottom and made our way up, step by step. They just took the elevator." She says the words bitterly. She follows my gaze to the sign, mirroring my empty gaze.

"No, it's not like that. I still used Kira's knowledge to get this far," I continue pass the sign, and when Asuna doesn't follow, I look back to add,

"You're admirable, aren't you, Asuna? To not have used that knowledge and made it this far. That's probably what Kirito was trying to say to you."

Asuna just shakes her head, hair hanging limp on her armour; the flame of it seeming to dim. She looks away from my gaze, murmuring,

"You shouldn't underestimate yourself either. You managed to become a master shied user in 6 months while you were with me. Level 0 to 50. That's amazing in its own right."