Chapter 7

POV: Kayoko

2000. 2000 people shattered into oblivion. 2000 people I couldn't save. 2000 people who died for nothing.

One month. One month leveling up, and limited resources and tense conversations between players. One month spent in this hell. And one month of no progress.

"I'm bored." I complain, folding myself onto the inn's bed's and resting my arm against my eyes.

"I'm bored of your complaining." Kyo replies from his chair with his menu open, sifting through all of his items. I think he did that yesterday.

"Well if you are organising your inventory, that proves you are bored. Don't tell me unnecessary information." I sit up from the bed, crossing my legs, placing my hand on my chin. "I'm so bored"

"Then go and level up or something." Kyo suggests, sighing heavily.

"But I have gotten as high as you can on this floor." I point out dryly.

"Then try and find the first floor dungeon."

"You think I haven't tried?" I stand up, pacing the small room. "It isn't in the same place as the beta test, or anywhere else I can think of."

"Heard that they were holding a meeting today about the first floor dungeon." Kyo closes his menu, stretching his hands out behind his head, following my pacing with his eyes.

"It probably won't be anything new."

Kyo gives me a look. "Fine but only if you go with me."

"What makes you think I'm interested?"

"You bought it up."

************

Me and Kyo walk into the meeting place; a collosum of all places. The beige stone arches above us, then circles to form seats, a couple of players dot each row, though not many. We take two of the seats at the back row, excluded from the other, bigger groups of players.

"Ok everyone, let's get started," A blue haired player introduces himself as Diabel and starts the meeting. I could tell he was one of those happy go lucky players who act like knights towards the people. I sigh as quietly as I can. This was going to be a long meeting.

I shifted my bum on the hard stone seat, impatient. Then Diabel says something that made me lean closer.

"We have found the first floor dungeon."

Then part of my brain tuned out the rest of the conversation, trying to remember the features of the first floor boss from the beta test and the model design.

Then a player with unnaturally spiky hair jumps up onto the stage, blurting out something about "beta testers are cheaters" and that they should "bow down and apologize for leaving them in the dust"

I clenched my fists. Because everything he said is true. I did leave everyone behind, and the results are 2000 lives shattered into oblivion. But I won't go down and apologize. I won't. I have my reasons and my mission. I won't let everyone down again.

Then someone else stands up, flicking a familiar books cover in the spiky hair's face. It is the book. The book I put together, with all the information I could think of. The book I poured hours into. No beta tester would ever know that much information.

Kyo glances over at me, giving me a look that says 'see? I told you so!'

"Shut up." I mouth, turning my head back towards the stage.