Chapter 6

POV:Kayoko

Everything is silent. Our brains have stopped, trying to absorb the situation and to calm our beating hearts. Then the freeze holding our brain melts. And then everyone starts.

Some scream, some stand silent, tears running down their face, and some still can't move, their brains refusing to believe what my uncle just told us. This isn't just a game.

And then there are the people like me. The people who's brains take action. The people who clench their fists and move. Who make the best of this opportunity.

"Kyo!" I yell over the noise of everyone "Kyo!"

But his brain cannot except this so he just stands still, staring up at the expanse of the sky.

"Kyozo!" I squeeze his hand, begging for him to wake up. "Please..."

"Kayoko," And that's when I notice the flash of tears in his eyes. "Did you know about this?"

"No!" The question knocks me off my path. "Do you think I would let this happen!"

His silence is enough for me. Yes. Yes. Yes. His answer screeches in my mind. He thinks I would let this happen. If my best friend doubts me, what would happen if everyone knew. Knew I was that things niece?

They would hunt me, hurt me. Squeeze all the information out drop by drop until even my blood runs no more. I would die.

I don't know why I was so scared. In the real world, death is always behind you, waiting for that day when you will finally slip up. Death is the closest thing to all of us. So why was I so scared?

"I'm sorry. I don't know what's real anymore." his voice cracks and more tears bloom on his face.

I can't be angry at that. Even as much as I want to be. I can't be angry. But all this feeling is left, this disappointment than runs through my veins, weighing me down.

I take a deep breath, saying as neutrally as I can, "Ok, I guess this is where we say goodbye."

Then I turn, I turn my back on my friend because I know he doesn't want this. He doesn't want to be by my side anymore. I don't even blame him. I don't want to be me anymore either.

And I am running, running past all the players and leaving everyone behind. So I can save them all.

Only when I am half way through the town of beginnings does a message icon pop into existence in front of me. Something has been added to my inventory.

And this time, it isn't a mirror.

It is a note. I think a nagging part of my brain knows who it is from as I press to equip it. The paper floats into my hands my hands and I unfold it carefully.

I scan the words quickly, making sure no one is around. I can't let anyone see this note. Because if they know, they will kill me.

To my dear Niece,
I am sorry. I am sorry a million times over and I know this all seems rather abrupt and that now, you will be one of the players vying to kill me.

I can't explain my reasonings for doing this on a note, so I will offer you an alternative. I am in the game, find me and I will explain everything.

And if you can find it in your heart to kill me, find it in your heart to end my life, I promise the game will end.

Your uncle,
Kayaba Akihiko

I place the note back in the inventory, looking around again to make sure no one saw the note. No one must know.

"Kira!" Kyo's voice echoes round the enclosed streets. I curse under my breath. I pull the hood of my cloak over my head and run out, spotting Kyo. I make an X with my hands and place a finger over my lips. Then beckon him with my hands.

I lead him into a nearby alley, darkest and enclosed but it makes sure no one sees us. I finger the edge of my hood, pulling it back to reveal my face.

"I may not know what's real, but please don't say goodbye!" He stares into my eyes. "I won't ask any questions, I promise but don't leave me alone."

"Everything else in this world may not be real so let me offer something you can trust." I look down from his hot gaze but then I looked up again, sure ringing in my eyes.

"Promise I will end this game. Not by beating all 100 levels because I know another way. I promise I will end this game, not just for you but for everyone."

My mouth finds it difficult to shape the words at first, but then my resolve in my fists tightens.

"I will kill Kayaba Akihiko!" I vow "I will end this game for everyone so no one else has to die."

"I'll help." He holds his hand out to me, urging to to take it.

"But... You don't hate me?"

"I could never hate you, not after what you have done for me." his hand reaches for mine.

I take it, saying "Do you, Ryozo Katuo promise to help me kill Kayaba Akihiko?"

"And you, Kayoko Akahoshi promise to kill Kayaba Akihiko?"

"Memento promissum." we say in unison, joining hands and sealing our vow.

Memento Promissum
Remember your promises.

************