Chapter 21

POV: Kayoko

Today's morning is so different from a month ago; I wake up cold, alone, the first dawning snow drifting on the horizon.

As an automatic action, I swipe for my menu, navigating the familiar clicks to the friend section, closing it when I see the name I am looking for.

Alive.

I check every day, waiting for that time his name doesn't show up, knowing I abandoned him, let him think me dead.

I decided it would be best if we separated. I don't want to bring him into what should be my own mission.

I can bring in Kirito, but that's different. I don't know him like I know Kyo, don't care for him like I do Kyo.

Don't love him like I love Kyo.

It is painful, and every day I feel the burning hole in my heart seemingly grow bigger. It hurts when I push him away, even as I want to draw him closer.

I peel myself from the bed, equipping my armour. I have something to do today other than levelling.

I knock on the door to Kirito's room softly, afraid that even a loud noise will startle him.

Truth is, he is getting even more unstable. He blames himself for the deaths of the moonlit black cats, even though it was nothing more than an accident.

No, it was more than that; it is my fault for letting the development of this game to go in for so long without knocking something was off.

If anything, the blame was on me.

Even so, he can't seem to snap out of the silent, black husk he lives in now, a miracle he even moves to eat and level and bathe.

"Come in." the voice is no more than a whisper.

I crack to the door open, rounding my face around it "I am going somewhere today, you can head to our usual place without me today, I won't be back until late."

He nods

"Find me if you need anything," I say with concern before exiting the empty Inn and heading to the main town area.

Soft wisps of snow brush my red cape, the wind sipping them and my hair into such a frenzy it is hard to see. I power forward unlike all the other players who have barricaded themselves inside.

The main square offers slight protection against the wind, several wood cabin streets branch outwards. Underneath the white storm, I spot my destination, making a beeline for the warm glowing light.

The bell rings as I shove the door open, heat blessing my face as I shut the door with the whole force of my arms.

"Wow, someone is actually braving the storm to come to my little shop! What can I do for you, little lady?"

He has bright blue hair, a smile like Kyo's on his lips, filled with mischief and adventure; he doesn't wear any armour, and I can't imagine he could wield a sword with much skill.

"I would like to get a tattoo."

************

I am lead to the room at the back, shielded from the rest of the shop with panels of glass. I take one of the comfort seats, taking the hot chocolate from the man.

"I am Shin by the way." he takes the seat across from him, leg resting on his knee.

"Kira."

He slides some brochures on the table over to me and I don't bother looking at them. I drain the hot chocolate before place it down on the table.