Chapter 8

POV: Kayoko

This isn't happening. Not happening. It is not happening. This cannot be happening.

And to think, I had somehow convinced myself that this was...was normal. To be stuck in this game was nothing but reality. But there is the real world out there, somewhere if only we can reach high enough, to that 100th floor.

Or we can reach downwards towards despair and loss and pain. Kill for this to end. Stain your soul to unstained theirs.

"I will kill Kayaba Akihiko!"

Where was that resolve, that urge that ran so deep. After just a month of this game, I felt so numb, like no emotions where there other than this.

But there it was, knocking it's wrinkled hand against my brain. This fear...and this numbness.

I couldn't feel anything as the beast roared again, louder this time, defining in my ear. Kirito is running past me, towards Diable towards one flickering life.

"Why did you try and do it alone" he scolds crouching, taking out the red bottle that could have his life. But he stops it, weakly catching Kirito's hand.

He says something I can't catch over the desperate wails of swords and all I can think, all I can do is watch. Watch as he dies. They continue to talk, and if it were me, I would shove the potion down his throat.

Not is anger. Disappointment. Disappointment in myself. It roiled in my gut like a snake, curling around my organs and squeezing tight. And I want it out.

And still I watch. I watch as his body crystallizes and shatters into dust on the wind. It is pretty, the way people die in this game. The rainbow of colours and hues, each a slightly different shade.

The utter sense of helplessness of everybody's faces is engraved into my mind and they way the look, it is as if everyone just wants to give up.

I turn to Kyo and what I see painted on his face isn't pain, or that wanting to end you life, but determination, and I see it on Kirito's face as I have at him too.

He stands up and turns towards the boss, determined and strong and sure. Asuna slips beside him, Kyo soon after.

My sword is cool against my palm as I grip it tightly, completing the party. I nod at the three of them.

"Thank you." The black haired boy gives a faint smile.

And we run.

We rush as four, swords low beside our thighs. Asuna's cape, somehow intact, makes straight line as she runs.

"We will do it just like the sentinels." Kirito's voice is low, commanding.

"Ok." Asuna's voice is as cold and unassuming as ever. And a small smile creeps its way onto my face. Of the normalcy of it, like we aren't just charging into battle.

The beast crouches, charging is sword skill in a burst of light, Kirito charging is own in return. And they connect, the beast flying back long enough for Asuna, with her speed, to fly in with a yell of "Switch!"

But something about his demeanor is different this time, and he is ready for her attack. She will die. Panic raises in me as I sprint towards the boss, not caring about the danger, just this life that is flickering.

"Asuna!"

But she leaps back, with all the grace of a ballerina, narrowly missing her body and ripping her cape instead. Coppery long hair falls out, half braided and a couple of shades lighter than Kyo's.
Her eyes are brown as I gaze into them but we don't say anything as we strike together.