Chapter 24

POV: Kayoko

I continue to twist the ring clasped around my left middle finger. I wait for the questions to bubble up like a wave raging like water, scalding me each time I hear them.

But there is nothing for those first, agonizing seconds of silence. The soft summer breeze blows past my ear and through the hair I dyed brown.

"Kayoko?" It is only a burning, broken whisper. "Is that really you?"

"Yeah," I smile. "It's me."

His face twists; anger, happiness, disbelief. So many things I don't understand.

He doesn't ask how, he only whispers "Why" then his voice raises, growing louder with each syllable.

"How could you do that to me? To us? Was there even an us to begin with Kayoko!?"

I take the words shouted at me; take them like hateful bullets, flinching as each one hits me again, again, again.

Tears roll down my cheeks, and I don't wipe them, letting them fall down, down, down.

"I don't understand. God, I'm trying to, but, was all of this a lie as well? Just like this world is a lie?"

I pull the blades of grass out of the ground. One. By one by one. I let them all fall out in my hand, twirling in the air.

"Are you even going to say anything!? Are you even going to defend yourself!?" He shakes my shoulders until my brain slaps against my skull.

I clutch my knees to my chest, trying to block everything out. This isn't happening. This isn't happening. This isn't happening.

But it is.

"What could I say to try and defend what I have done? I've killed thousands of people and never even done a thing to help them, I let Sachi and the moonlit black cats die.

Do you think I wanted that to happen!?
Do you think that I wanted to leave you!?

Because I didn't choose immortality in this game, any more than you can't choose who you love. Because for better or for worse, Kyozo, I still and always will love you."

I stand up then, feeling as if a weight has been taken after months left with it jammed on my back. It feels good to unload it all, every emotion, every thought.

"I'm sorry." A sorrowful smile spreads on my lips, the kind forced through even though your lower lip shakes.

I take a step. Even if it hurts. Even when my heart seems to shatter with each movement. Unwillingness feels heavy in my chest, a sinking feeling that drags me back as I try to push against it.

A hand snaps closed against my wrist, shackling me to him. I continue to stare straight ahead, trying to keep my composure.

His arms circle around my shoulders, I feel the back of him pressed against my bare back that shows my tattoo. I grip his arms, not willing to let go even as my mind screams at me to.

One hand brushes away my hair from where it shields my ear, whispering like he only wants me to hear.

"Please don't leave."

I won't, not ever."

I allow myself to lean into him if a little too much. We topple and roll down in the grass until strands cling to my brown hair.

It is the hybrid between trickling tears and bursting laughter, coupled with all the kisses we are owed. But it is also the same word I whisper each time I gasp for breath, between kisses.

"I'm sorry."

My fingers cup his face, wipe the tears and years of ageing off his face as he does with mine.

Kyo never says that all is forgiven; it isn't, and I don't think it will be like the way it was for a long time.

But we enjoy the illusion in the fields of flowers and grass as the sunsets over the horizon in hope that one day, all of this won't just be an illusion.

************

"You got a tattoo?" Kyo asks as we perch on the stone wall and his picks grass out of my now red hair.

I brush the test of it over my shoulder, turning to show him "it's to remember everyone who's died."

As he traces his fingers down the trunk of the tree and down the limbs of the tree, I shiver.

"What about you, Lieutenant?" I don't elbow him in the ribs as I would have before, rather I trace the gaps in between the concrete.

"It was only because of Asuna."

Again, it is that jealousy that makes me clench my jaw, trying to not look bothered as I nodded.

Suddenly, my balance on the wall tilted as a black figure pulls my shoulders towards the ground.

I topple over, my back thinking against the ground. I flip myself back up with ease but get a mouthful of inbound hair covered in grass.

"Kirito!" I pull my sword warningly from its sheath, making sure he sees the black and red blade flash in the setting sun.

"Ah...sorry!" He holds his hands in front of his in some kind of defence.

From a couple of metres away, Asuna blinks from her sudden awakening, then sneezes in surprise "what?"

"Good morning!" Kyo raises his hands in greeting.

"You slept like a rock!" Kirito adds unhelpfully.

Then, it is two girl drawing their swords at one guy, with the other stepping in to help.

Asuna coughs as she retracts her raiper, then stutters, blush brushing her cheeks, "You...you get one meal, and then we are even!"

She crosses her arms and then stomps off at a high speed which I hardly am able to follow.

"Who are you?"

I freeze at the question, finally realising that Asuna can't know I am Kira or Kayoko. Kyo was have bound to have told her.

How much did he really tell her?

No. I can't afford to doubt myself or Kyo. If she knows, she might even prove helpful in trying to find my uncle on the front lines, since I haven't had any luck so far.

"I'm Kira from the first-floor raid."

She turns pale. "That's...that's impossible. You're dead!"

That confirms my suspicions. I take a deep breath "I can explain, but I can't do it now, someone will hear. Telling you this is like having my life in your hands, Asuna-san, I hope you're ready if you wish to know."

She nods. I nod back.

We continue in silence, getting further ahead from the two boys that they are only specks behind us.

Asuna pounces at that moment; her tan skin clashes up against my pale. "I don't care if you really are Kira or not, but I will not put up with you hurting my Lieutenant again."

Her grip tightens like a vice.

"Don't worry, I wasn't intending to." I cool my voice down to ice as I pull away.

***********