Chapter 36

POV: Kayoko

Solemnly, Asuna leads us past the towering oak doors set into the mountain side. Lanterns sit in carved ledges of cracked rock, casting shaking shadows of our figures as we make our way deeper under the mountain.

Our steps echo louder with each turn down the passage but the voice I heard back in the forrest eclipses each one.

"Save me."

The voice has seemed to follow each of my movements these weeks since the murder, to the point where I swear I see swishing blonde hair following me down the streets.

We have been waiting for this day ever since then. The monthly meeting of the clearers has arrived, and we're not standing by on the issue of player killing guilds, and I hope, neither are they. Even if Asuna hadn't gotten us in with her position as vice commander, I would have used everything to force my way here.

The light grows stronger at the end of the passage and while our faces her still conseeled by the shadows, Kyo takes my hand in his own, squeezing it tightly.

"Are you ready?"

I nod, even as nerves twist in the pit of my stomach; I push them back down with a deep breath. "I think so."

"There's no going back after this." Asuna warns, hand clutching the joint of my shoulder in support before her hand drops back to the hilt of her sword.

Kirito smiles, rubbing his hands together to displace the nerves. "It's time to make our debut."

"Drama Queen." I roll my eyes and taking that as a sign I'm not about to combust, Kyo drops his hand, retreating back a step to appear slightly behind me.

"No." He says, eyes shining in the dim lighting. "You're our Queen."

As one, we enter. In the centre of the chamber, lies a slab of rock, covered in maps and little toy soldiers, the paper weighted down with the lives those figures represent.

I recognise some of them; the iron armour of the Aincrad Liberation Army, the blue armour of the Hold Dragon Alliance, the majority clad in the own red and white armour of the Knights of the Blood Oath.

At the head of the table, the widely recognised leader of the clearers and the commander of the Knights of the Blood Oath, hunches over the battle plans, his face creased with anxiety.

He looks up as we enter, nodding to Asuna and then to Kyo, eyes widening as they by pass him and follow me to the other end of the stone slab. His eyes narrow in on me.

The chatter of the other groups doesn't stop as we enter, the other leaders and high ranking members seemingly off in their own world. No wonder they have made no attempt to deal with the player killing guilds. I scan over each one, names surfacing, but none of them seem to notice my gaze, the rage contained within it.

Kyo opens his mouth to call for their attention but I hold him back with my hand. A smile surfaces from my lips as I draw my sword from my side and feel it glow with the charge of a sword skill. The revberation thrumbs through me as I slam it into the table, sending the table trembling and figures flying.

"Sorry to interrupt," I say as the paper falls around us like snow, smirk clearly showing on my face. "But we have a proposal."

"You dar-" Heathcliff cuts off the rage of his subordinate with a wave of his hand. Even from here, I can feel the natural air of authority radiating from his pulled back shoulders. As expected of the leader of the Knights of the Blood Oath to hold such a tight reign over the ones below him.