XVIII

They walked in a straight line...

Eggsy was in front with the minesweeper. Behind him was Val and behind her was Merlin and Harry. They all took the same steps Eggsy took making sure to avoid landmines the best that they can.

Once they arrived infront of the gate to Poppyland they broke the line.

"Right. This is where we split up. Pincer movement. Merlin you're with me. Eggsy, Val, you two signal when we're in position"

Eggsy nodded along with Val who was still behind him. But the first step Eggsy took resulted in chaos. Their hearts stopped as they heard that beep.

He stepped on a land mine.

"Don't move. If you move we die" Merlin said and Eggsy nodded not being able to say anything. It was by far one of the scariest moments in his life.

Tension hung in the air and covered over their heads like a plastic bag suffocating them. Merlin took a Kingsman spray from the briefcase.

But of course it was no ordinary spray. Val recognized it as the freezing spray. Merlin knelt down and removed the soil around the trigger. He proceeded to spray the content on the trigger.

"This spray will freeze the trigger mechanism. Give us a split second. So on the count of three. I want you to-"

"Run!" Val whisper shouted.

But the three of them, Harry, Eggsy, and Val turned around to find Merlin. With his foot on the trigger. Val's eyes widened.

"Merlin" she whispered.

"Merlin what the f*ck have you done?" Eggsy said.

"Our journey together began many years ago when your father did the same thing for us" Merlin told Eggsy gesturing to Harry and him.

"Our journey began with a mistake a made" Harry said extending his hand. "Give me the can. That's an order"

"Can's empty. Split second's over. You three need to get going"

"No. There's got to be another way" Eggsy said.

"Merlin you can't do this!" Val said not even trying to hold back her tears.

"He's right. Mission comes first" Harry said.

"Bollocks mission comes first!"

"This is insane Dad. We can-"

"Eggsy! Val! This is no time for emotion. Remember your training or we all die. Now get going"

"Do as you're told. Move it"

Val kept silent and nodded her head used to this. The whole world was counting on them. "Eggsy we need to go" she croaked out.

Eggsy gave her an incredous look before hesitantingly picking up the briefcase.

"Go" Merlin said in a stern tone.

Eggsy grudgingly moved. Harry saluted Merlin and said "It's been an honor" putting a hand on his shoulder and walking away.

"Good luck"

Harry looked to Val and said "Let's go" before going off.

But Val was stuck where she was. She had her feet planted on the ground and tears suddenly flooded her eyes. Her heart ached and wrenched. This was too much.

She slapped a hand on her mouth as she stifled a sob.

"Oh Val" Merlin said wincing. "I know you're such an emotional creature and can't help yourself. In fact such big hearted, sweet, and compassionate people like you shouldn't have to do this dirty work. You didn't have to be a field agent. Why did you choose to?"