XXIV

She was dead...

Her heart stopped beating. She stopped breathing. She was gone. She left them with nothing but the memory of her. Not even a chance to say goodbye. She just left. She placed a large hole in their hearts. A deep endless void of darkness and hurt. It could never be covered up or filled. They would never be the same. Nothing could make them feel any better.

They're expressions were made as stoic and emotionless as possible. They had a hard time sinking it in. That she would be gone forever. They felt all alone even in each other's presence. Everything felt like a blur and the world seemed like a haze.

They sat by the round table in the Statesman council room, unmoving. They had the glasses in their hands filled with the special liquor only consumed in the death of a Kingsman agent. Never did they imagine they would be taking a drink for Val. It was hard to believe.

Everyone was taking it hard. A smile would be an alien expression as of now. Agent Tequila was no better. He took it harder than everyone else. All emotions were ripped away from him and all that was left is pain. Lovesick was an emotion he never understood. But now he felt it and it was devouring his soul tearing him apart. Starting slowly from the inside. She was everything to him. But now she's gone and he never got to tell her or show her just how much she meant to him.

He loved her so much. But he was too late. He called her name. Practically cried it out in agony. He called it again and again as his fist beat on the glass that separated him from her lifeless form. He called a thousand times. She never answered. She left him. And it was nothing but agonizing pain. People would tell him to have hope. That he would find another girl like Val. But they would be wrong. There was nobody like her. She was one of a kind. Hard to replicate. All of the sudden living felt like a burden. The feel of his heart beating stung. Every breath he took felt like a crime. He thought he should be dead. Not her.

He prayed for a miracle. For someone to wake him  from this nightmare. He wished he was still asleep in the cyro chamber having a bad dream and waking up in relief to find Valentine's beautiful face in front of his cupping his cheeks in her warm delicate hands. Her eyes brimmed with tears of joy, and probably scold him for what he did. He wouldn't even think. His lips would've devoured hers and he would smother her with so much love she would never ask for anything else in her life. He would keep her safe in his arms but he knows he would have to let go every once in awhile. She was the one for adventure.

But there's no way to do that now. It's a dream far away from reality. If it was a dream, he wished he would be sleeping forever. Champ solemnly raised his glass and bowed his head in respect. "I had only known her for a short time but even I can say, she was a great gal. To Valentine"

Harry, Eggsy, and Tequila hesitantly raised their glasses because they knew. Once they take a sip of that alcohol and toast to her death it would be their act of accepting the fact they wanted to desperately deny. She was gone.

"To Valentine" they chorused their voices in deep monotone. They were about to down the drink while also figuratively downing and accepting she was dead, when Ginger burst through the doors and stopped them. "Gentlemen" she said. "I would hold off toasting to her"

She looked pretty jumpy and excited, and she smiled widely which is weird for a time like this. What was there to be excited for? Valentine just died.

Champ frowned at her in confusion whilst Harry, Eggsy, and Tequila sighed in relief and put down their glasses but were also confused by Ginger's behavior. It was the only time in their life they didn't want a glass of good liquor. "And why is that Ginger?" Champ asked.

"That wine is only for the toasting of fallen Kingsman agents sir"

Champ tilted his head in confusion and urged her to go on. "And?"

"You can't toast to someone who isn't fallen with that wine" Ginger said smiling widely.

Harry, Eggsy, and Tequila's darkened expressions were lit up with hope and Champ held an expression of shock. Was Ginger implying what they hoped she was? No it couldn't be. It was impossible.

"So you're saying" Eggsy trailed off with a smile.

"Our doctors were doing autopsy on her. They detected her heart beating again. At first they didn't believe it. But they got the heart monitor and it was confirmed. She's alive. What's even more peculiar is that when they checked her leg, all the wounds and fractures she had were healed with only a few scars left!" Ginger said her own disbelief embedded in her words.

All the pained expressions were gone and the heavy burden in their hearts had been lifted and it felt light as air. Unexplainable relief and happiness over took them. All the pain was gone. It was unbelievable. She had been dead for over an hour. How she managed to get back to living was unexplainable. The men stood up abruptly.

"Well, where is she now?" Harry asked excitedly.

"In the sickbay, unconscious. We presume it's from all the blood she lost. She will be awake in a couple days. Harry, I think you have to donate some blood. She lost a dangerous amount. It's a miracle she is alive"

Tequila shook his head a wide smile coming to his face. People thought he was incapable of such a smile. "Nah Ginger" he said.

"That girl in and of herself is a miracle. To every single one of us"

Few days past and everything was slowly returning to normal...

Val still hadn't woken up but she was bound to soon. Tequila couldn't wait for her to wake up. He stayed by her bedside all day and night waiting for her to wake up. He would only leave when Ginger forced him to do so in order to eat and take a shower. He hadn't slept in a couple days from so much excitement. If he did fall asleep, it would be in a chair with the upper half of his body crouched on Val's bed. He often slept with his head on her stomach and arms holding her.

He hadn't been talking to anyone much seeing as he had shut himself in the sickbay like a hermit. He had only talked to Ginger who regularly checked Val's vitals and Harry and Eggsy who would visit more often if it wouldn't have been for the meetings and debriefs they had to go through. Harry had donated blood to her but she lost so much blood that Eggsy also had to donate seeing as they were the same blood type. Now Eggsy was literally blood related to her.

It was the fourth day Val had been asleep. She looked peaceful. Unlike the time she was about to die, the color once more returned to her face and she looked more lifelike. She was under a white blanket that kept her warm and Tequila constantly played with her fiery red hair while impatiently waiting for her sky blue eyes to open.

She was surrounded by an army of stuff toys they bought for her. They told him Val still slept with stuff toys and she often proclaimed it was going to be the reason why she would forever sleep in a bed alone. Tequila laughed to himself. She acted so mature yet she herself also had an inner child like everyone else.

But when Val would become his girlfriend he thought there would be some small competition in store for him. Who would Val like to cuddle with more? Him? Or the teddy bears? The thought made him chuckle once more. His laughter was cut short when a groan came from the once unconscious figure. Her eyes started to squint and adjust to the sunlight and the moment Tequila had been waiting for arrived.

She was awake.

Took me like an hour to write this what the heck. I'm sorry it's boring but my brain cells are still dead from exams and I still have a project to make. Sigh, will it ever end? Next chapter is coming up! Please vote and leave words of encouragement!

Cheers!