Chapter 28 ~ Danielle's effect

Chapter 28 ― Danielle's effect 

“I’m gonna miss you so much!” I told my brother for the tenth time. He came back for lunch and now we were saying our goodbyes because after that, Phebs and I were going to meet with the boys and stay at the hotel that night to leave Manchester the next morning. Ethan couldn’t go with us to the concert due to his job.

“And I’ll miss you! You have to come back soon and I’ll try to visit, okay?” he replied grabbing me by the shoulders. I nodded biting my lower lip. By the corner of my eye I saw Jack and Phebs waiting for us. I didn’t understand what he was doing there, but I didn’t want to be rude.

“Thanks for everything, Ethan. I’ll see you soon.” It was his turn to nod, then he let go of me and walked towards Phebs to give her a hug. Jack approached and I looked at him suspiciously, still not knowing what he was doing there. “You came to say goodbye?” I ventured crossing my arms over my chest. He smiled this cocky smile I had learnt was his signature.

“Of course. You made quite the impression on me, Alex. Will I see you soon?” he asked and I raised my eyebrows. Was he serious?

“I dunno. You probably will be back in America by when I visit Ethan again,” I replied offhandedly shrugging just to give more emphasis to my tone.

“Who knows? Maybe I’ll fall in love with this country and I’ll stay.” Jack shrugged and I just frowned. “Goodbye hug?”

I stood there a couple of seconds pondering my options. To be rude, or not to be rude? I sighed telling myself that it was going to be the last time I was going to see him, what bad consequences would I have to face? I stepped closer and hugged him. “Goodbye,” I told him as I stepped back quickly. I glanced at my brother and Phebs that were hugging and saying sweet things to each other.

“I hope to see you soon,” Jack commented and I just gave him a little look before focusing on my friend again.

“Phebs, time to go,” I told her being rude to Jack. I couldn’t help it, I could notice he had some sort of interest in me and even if he was my style, I had Niall and I wasn’t interested in complicating things between us. I knew Niall was insecure, why would I make things harder for him being friends with a man that made him feel threatened?

The blonde nodded as she grabbed her backpack and together we went to the taxi that was waiting for us. Ethan and Jack waved goodbye and I immediately felt terrible for leaving my brother. I would love to have him closer, I would give anything so I could see him more often. I was going to miss him terribly.

* * *

“I’m so sorry!” Niall exclaimed as soon as he saw me making my way towards them.

Phebs was walking next to me that afternoon after having spent all morning watching movies just the two of us. Phoebe didn’t feel good and not only because she had nightmares during the night before and she barely slept, but also because that day Danielle and Eleanor would be joining us for the last days of the tour. So after Ethan went to work, we just watched comedies without a tiny bit of romance. It wasn’t easy to find that kind of movies. What was Hollywood’s problem and its need to add romance to everything? Whatever, Phebs needed to think of something else, forget that Liam had a girlfriend and that he didn’t see my friend the way she saw him.

I hugged Niall but tried not to be too eager at the moment of expressing my feelings for him, even if I wanted to, because I knew Phebs would feel worse to see that I could have what she couldn’t. “It’s okay, it’s not your fault. You don’t have to apologise, babe,” I told him knowing immediately that he was talking about the media knowing about us. I smiled just to reassure him that everything was fine.