Chapter 32 ~ Hollow

Pay attention to the new character, it will be really important for Misconceptions, THE SEQUEL OF BACKFIRE (I can't make that bigger). 

-:-:-:-

Chapter 32 ― Hollow

No one saw me crying the night before. The girls knew something had happened between Niall and I, it was obvious if he walked to the door without me to kiss him goodbye. They tried to talk to me, but I just asked to be left alone. I didn’t pick up the phone either, though Liam, Louis, Harry and even Zayn called me several times. I just couldn’t let them see me like that. I’ve never felt so broken. When Niall walked away from my life I felt like a part of me was leaving with him, an important and big part of me and I didn’t know how I was going to go on with my life when that was missing.

The next morning, the whole next day, I was like a zombie under the sun. It was my first day and I could hardly pay any attention to what my professors were saying. I had to change that, but I just wanted one day, one only day to mourn for what I lost the night before.

It was afternoon and I was walking to the coffee shop because I needed something to wake me up. I still felt like everything was wrong in the world, I missed him so much. I just wanted to hear his voice, one last time, but I knew that it was going to make things worse. I took my phone out several times during the morning, about to call him, but then I hid the gadget in my bag so I couldn’t be tempted. Even if I tried not to think of him, there was always something that reminded me of him. A song in the radio, a couple, a blond guy, a flag of Ireland, a boy with braces, food… God, almost everything reminded me of him!

This was going to be the hardest thing in my life.

I was in the queue waiting to be asked for my order when I heard someone calling out my name. I turned around and I saw a little black-haired girl with glasses and curly hair. A smile drew on my face when I recognised the girl.

“Mila,” I told her when she was finally in front of me. She was such a cute girl but if you told her that, she would hit you. She had a cute heart-shaped face with a lovely and contagious smile, she was short but she was always wearing high heels so we were almost the same height, her hair was mid back long and no one could touch it and live to talk about it.

Camila, and Mila for friends, was studying literature and we met when she saw me reading The Hunger Games. We got along immediately as she had a personality quite similar to mine. “Alex! I haven’t seen you in forever! How are you?” She asked me giving me a quick hug. I smiled trying to hide all my pain.

“Good. I had an incredible summer and you’re right, we haven’t seen each other since the end of classes last semester,” I replied as cheerfully as possible, but Mila wasn’t stupid and she knew me well, besides, she was very observant.

“Liar.” It was the first thing she told me. “You’re not okay. Wanna talk about it? Coffee and an ear can help you a lot. I rather tea, but it seems like you need something stronger.”

I chuckled because she was a tea addict. Yeah, I loved that drink, but she was kind of obsessed. I loved her, though. She was different and so special; it was impossible not to love her.

However, I thought about telling her what was happening with me, telling her about Niall and my broken heart. She was a great listener but I didn’t know if I was prepared to talk about it without breaking in the way. I probably needed it, but I couldn’t do it in that moment.

“Not now, maybe soon. I still wanna know about your summer, though. Please, distract me,” I begged in a whisper. Maybe hearing about other stories, about something that had nothing to do with Niall and One Direction would make me feel better. I didn’t know, but I hoped for it.