Chapter 30 ~ Back home

Chapter 30 ― Back home 

We couldn’t talk at all.

Niall tried to spend time alone with me, but I was always worried about Phebs who looked more depressed every day. We tried to cheer her up, we took her to different bookstores but her smile wasn’t real anymore and Liam noticed it. I knew I had to talk to Niall, our time was running out, but Phoebe was one of my best friends, I couldn’t leave her alone and worry about my own issues forgetting about her. She would never do that to me, and neither would I.

“Alex,” Liam called me when they were preparing for their last concert in Wembley. I was on my way to the dressing room and I didn’t expect to run into him in the hall. I turned around to see the boy walking towards me, his expression a reflection of sheer concern. “I need to talk to you,” he added and I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds, trying to find an excuse to avoid him. Lately, we all tried to avoid him.

“Sure, tell me, but I think we should keep walking. The guys are waiting for us, you know,” I reminded him trying to smile.

“It won’t take too long and we need privacy. It’s about Phebs,” he said what I feared the most. I couldn’t talk about Phebs with him. “What’s wrong with her?” He asked staring into my eyes and I swallowed hard. “She’s not the same anymore, she hardly talks to me. I’m worried.”

I felt so bad for him and for Phebs and I hated to be in that place in that moment. Damn my luck. A part of me was happy that the tour was almost over because this situation was dragging me out, and not only me, but all the lads as well.

“She’s okay, Liam. You don’t have to worry. She doesn’t speak to you that much ‘cos she wants to give you some time with Danielle, that’s all,” I lied and I hated myself for that reasons. I didn’t like to lie to Liam, he didn’t deserve it, but I couldn’t tell him the truth either.

“Then look at me and tell me that again ‘cos I don’t believe you, Alex. Tell me the truth. What’s happening here? I care about her too, you know? Why is she pushing me aside?” His eyes were begging me to tell him the truth and it was killing me not to do it, but I jut couldn’t.

“I’m sorry, Liam. I can’t tell you, but I promise you one thing: everything’s gonna be fine.” Because she will forget about you eventually, I added as an afterthought.

He looked at me unsure and I was just hoping we would accept what I was telling him, but he shook his head from side to side. “I can’t stay like this and not do anything. If you don’t tell me, she will. I won’t accept a no for answer,” he stated and I panicked. No, he couldn’t do that.

“Liam!” I cried out grabbing him by the arm when he was leaving to the dressing room where she was hanging out with the other lads. “Don’t do that. Please, leave her alone. Just for another couple of days. If you truly care about her, don’t ask her anything.”

He looked so confused and, oh how I wished I could do something else, say something to put him at ease, but that was the best I could do. Phebs would die first before telling him why she was so sad lately and I couldn’t allow something like that to happen. I had to take care of her.

“Why? Why can’t I talk to her about this? It’s my fault, isn’t it?” I bit my lower lip not knowing how to reply to that. He understood my silence and I saw the hurt expression in his face. “What did I do to her? I need to apologise.”

“It’s not your fault, Liam. Believe me, it’s not,” I reassure him because it wasn’t his fault. It was nobody’s fault because no one can control who we fall in love with. “Everything will be fine, Liam. I promise.”