Chapter 36

Adrian's POV:

"Any news?"

"Sorry Sir but it seems like there's no one who looks like the guy you asked us to find in France. We'll be moving on to the next country soon."

"Thanks. Report back to me when you've found him. Thank you." Hanging up the call, I stared out into the open space emotionlessly as paperwork continued to pile on my desk.

It's been a month since Ryan disappeared. A squad of elite secret agents, 1 month, 5 countries and he's still not found. How many more months do I have to wait just to hear that Ryan's safe and even found?! A month has passed yet there's no information about him at all!

*knock knock*

"What!" I snapped at the unknown person behind my doors.

The doors opened gently to reveal Mum standing there with a soft glare on her face. "You have to calm down, Adrian. You're scaring your staffs." Like I even care. I ain't have time for that!

"How can I calm down when Ryan's still missing?! I can't! Ryan's your son too, isn't he? How can you be so calm even though he just vanished like that from us?!" I lashed out unintentionally at Mum, making her sigh deeply before closing the doors behind her.

She stared at me into my eyes directly and intensely before directing a question to me which caused myself to look down in remorse. "Do you think Ryan would want to see you like that? In this state?"

Her words pierced through my heart like a sharp arrow, playing over and over again in my mind. I knew the answer to her question even without thinking of it. He wouldn't. Ryan wouldn't stand to look at me in my current state. Knowing him, he would beat my senses back into me and force me to be myself once again as he scolds me for being so unsightly.

"He wouldn't..." She nodded her head at my words in agreement before walking over to my side.

"And you know that it's true. I may not show it, Adrian but I do miss him a lot. Which Mother wouldn't miss her son or worry about him? I can be like you, all upset and depressed but do you think that Ryan will like it if I did that? He wouldn't. That's the kind of guy my son and your boyfriend is. Do you understand what I'm trying to convey to you?" She said motherly with a strong front before wrapping her arms around my shoulders and pulling my head gently to rest against her torso as she stroked my hair lightly in a comforting manner.

"Thank you, Mum."

"No problem, dear. So do what you should do and Ryan will be back in your arms safe, before you even know it. You must prove to him that you're someone he can come back to and depend on when he's lost. Okay?"

"Okay. I'll do my best."

"That's my boy...I miss him so much..."

"Me too Mum...me too..." We stayed at that position for a while before Mum pried herself away, claiming that she has to go and start preparing dinner for us.

Taking a deep and firm breath, I let it out along with all my troubles and hesitation. I have to focus and do my job well or else Ryan will come and lecture me when he comes back. Won't you, Ryan?

I bet you will.

I miss you so much, Ryan. Please come back to me soon.

Arien's POV:

"Officer Arien! The victim's awake!" My colleague reported eagerly with amused eyes as he dashed into my office with beads of sweat rolling down his neck.

"Great. Thanks for informing me, Heathen." Taking my necessary items, I made my way to the hospital where the victim has been admitted to. To think that he was able to survive after all those injuries inflicted onto him. He must really have a strong will to live and I'm glad for him.

Opening the doors to the ward, the patient came into view as he stared at me with a blank look on his face. His exposed limbs are bandaged up neatly while his forehead was wrapped up skillfully. According to the surgeons, he has suffered numerous stabbed wounds and scars made by whips all around his frame. He suffered from a major blood lost and was expected to be dead before he can even be rushed to the hospital.

"I'm glad to see you awake, Sir. I'm Officer Arien and I hope that you can answer some of my questions." Turning to my directly slightly, he nodded lightly with the same look on his face before turning his attention away from me.

Clearing my throat lightly, he turned back to my direction as he waited for my questions. "May I know what's your name?"

He turned his head down to his fingers as he thought for a while before looking back at me with hesitation in his eyes. "I-I don't know..."

"I see...It's alright. On to the next question...do you know what happened to you?"

"I...........I can't.... I c-can't remember. I... I...I don't know..." He said with a trembling voice as he stared up at me with pained eyes.

"Do you know if there's anyone I can call?" He furrowed his brows as he thought hard but came to no avail when he looked up at me with hope-lost eyes.

"It's alright. Do you at least know which country you are born in?"

"N-No...I can't remember anything at all..." He said with a look of panic on his face before wrapping his arms around his knees, cowering himself into a ball as he stared at his surroundings in fear. "Where am I....Who am I...Why am I here..." He mumbled to himself softly yet shakily as the doctor came in with his report on hand.

"He is no doubt, suffering from amnesia." The doctor confirmed as he jotted down some notes on the report.

"How is he faring?"

"He's recovering well but in terms about his amnesia...we're not sure about it. It's up to him to see if he'll ever regain his memories. We'll have to continue to observe him for another month or so just to ensure that he's fully healed and healthy." That will be a trouble if he knows nothing about himself for that long of a time...

"Sir?" Calling out for him, he snapped out of his dazed look to look at me, this time with warm and calm looking eyes.

"Yes?"

"May I know what will you like your temporary name to be? At least, until you've regained your memory?"

"My name?" He paused for a while as he stared at the plain walls in deep thoughts. "I-Is Rey fine? R-Rey in terms of R-E-Y?" He asked hesitantly as I nodded at his question.

"Of course." The doctor quickly scribbled down his name as I jotted it down in my journal. "Then I'll be taking my leave now. I'll leave him to you doc."

"W-Wait!" Before I can turn to leave, I felt a pair of hands grabbing onto my right, making me turn towards him.

"Yes, Rey?"

"Y-You're called A-Arian right?" He asks with slightly brightened up eyes as if he is glad about something. I wonder what it is...

"Yeah. But Arien with a 'e', not a 'a'."

"C-Can you stay with me? I-If...If you d-don't mind?" He requested falteringly as he kept his eyes down-casted.

"Um...sure?" I guess an hour or two won't hurt. He just woke up after all. He must be petrified to find himself in an unknown land.

"T-Thank you, A-Arian."

"Arien."

"S-Sorry....Arien."

How Arien looks like ^