Chapter 3

I walked into the house thinking about Mr.Tate helping me. I was so ecstatic that I didnt realize my mom sitting in the living room.

"Where have you been all day?" Her words slurred a little and when she stood up, she swayed a little. Drunk? Seriously?

"Mom? Are you drunk?" She walked up to me and slapped me hard. It took the wind right out of my lungs and her nails left four cuts on my cheek.

"How dare you?! You ask if I'm drunk and you are out whoring all day? Yeah, I saw that older man drop you off. You slut!" My eyes watered up. My mom may be a sort of dead beat, but to hear these names from your mother hurt.

"Oh, so now you don't want to answer when Im right?" She punched me and started kicking me when I fell to the ground. I felt a crack in my ribs and knew it was time to leave. I tried to crawl to the  stairs, but my mom grabbed my ankle and twisted it hard.

I screamed in pin and then my  mom kicked me one final time. She bent down to my ear. "You know, its you and your drug addicted brother's fault why your father cheated on me so much and now its your fault that he decided to leave me. He got a divorce that didnt require me to sign." She stood up and spit on me.

I cried and cried. I crawled up to my room and fell instantly to sleep. Every breath I took hurt more and more, so maybe sleep could help take some pain away.

I woke up in the morning in even more pain. I tried to get out of the bed and collapsed because my ankle gave out. I can't let Jess or Zach see me because they would ask way too many questions, some that I dont want to answer.

I jumped into the shower and let the hot water cascade down my back. All my cuts burned but it felt good against my sore muscles. I jumped out and grabbed my sweat pants. Other than sweats all I had were skinny jeans and there was too much pain for that. I grabbed Mr.Tate's sweatshirt. It was big so it covered everything and really warm. I could deal with his jokes later.

I grabbed my phone and texted Jess.

Me: Hey babe! I dont need a ride today. Go ahead and get there early to flirt with some jocks ;)

Jess:You sure? I really dont mind.

Me:Yup!

Walking to school was sure going to be hell but I cant let her see me like this. I grabbed my bookbag and set out for the walk. It took an extra 15 minutes to get to school this time, but now I had another problem. I need to find somewhere to rest and stay away from Zach and Jess. The only person I could think of was Mr.Tate.

I limped to his classroom and looked in his doorway. He was sitting at his desk grading some papers. Wow, he was hot with his glasses on. He looked up and noticed me standing there. He saw his sweatshirt and his smile turned into a smirk.

"So I see you couldn't resist wearing my clothes." I smiled, well I tried and it turned into a grimace. The smirk fell right off of his face when he saw that.

"Whats wrong?"

"Look, I just need a place to rest, I had to walk today and my ankle is in pain. Can I stay in here?"

"Yea sure. Do want any ice?" I thought about hiis offer. Nah, too many questions.

"No, but thanks. And thanks for the ride home yesterday. I really appreciate it."

"No problem." He walked over and sat next to me. "SO, how do you like my jacket?' He wiggled his eye brows and bumped me. I wouldn't have minded if he bumped me in my arms but he bumped my ribs and I felt a final snap and a whole bunch of pain. I tried to scream but no sound came out. I fell to the ground holding my ribs.