Prologue

"Hey, what's your name?" I heard someone ask me from behind. I turned my head towards the voice, seeing a boy, probably the same age as me.

He had caramel skin, dark poofy hair that literally reminded me of a lion with curly hair, and dark glimmering eyes. He wore a red tailcoat with a dark gray waistcoat and a white dress shirt. You know, the usual uniform butlers wear. He also wore a red bowtie, dark pants and black shiny shoes.

I saw more clearly that he was taller than me, his hands shoved into his trouser pockets.

"My name is Hatter, a pleasure to meet you," I smiled, taking off my top hat and taking a bow.

"Is that your real name?" The boy asked.

"Hm, I don't know," I hummed, returning to my work, pushing some pins into a hat. "Is it?'

"I doubt that's your real name," the boy scoffed as he leaned closer to what I was doing. "But my name is Thomas Jefferson, nice to meet you."

I didn't really listen, too focused on my work.

"Hey, these are beautiful," Thomas smiled in awe as he examined one of the hats.

"Don't touch that." I sighed, leaning over and yanking the hat from him. "It's for the King."

"That British guy?" Thomas asked, raising an eyebrow. "Why would you ever give him something? He's an asshole."

"Shut up!" I hissed. "Do you want to get yourself killed?!"

Thomas shook his head as he watched me sigh and walk over to the sewing machine. I dragged the steel ball chained to my ankle across the floor before taking a seat on a wooden chair.

"Why do you have that?" Thomas asked, pointing at the steel ball. "Did you do something wrong?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. "But they always call me the Mad Hatter. I don't even know why." I glanced at Thomas who was looking at me curiously. "I always hear them talking about me. Especially the guards. Whenever I'm being led somewhere, I always hear them whispering to each other." I took off my hat, running a hand through my short hair. "I just want to get out of here and drink some tea at a meadow or something."

Thomas frowned, before stepping towards me. He picked up my hat, placing it neatly on my head.

"Don't worry Hatter, one day, I'll help you escape," Thomas gave me a smile.

.....

"Alice!!" Seabury called down the hall. "Come over here!"

Thomas sighed, shaking his head.

"Well, I guess I have to go," Thomas frowned. "See you around-"

"Madison," I muttered.

"Huh?' Thomas raised an eyebrow.

"My real name is James Madison," I gave him a soft smile. "You asked me earlier and I decided to answer."

"James Madison..." Thomas mumbled. He chuckled, nodding. "I like it a lot." Thomas waved to me, smiling. "See you around James!"

I turned back around towards the sewing machine, placing pressure on the pedal. I noticed a box on the table next to the sewing machine. I stopped the machine, opening the white box to see a watch. It had black leather, with gold and gems decorating the rim of the watch. The hands of the watch were two multicolored feathers. The back had four decorations: a heart, a diamond, a spade, and a club.

It was honestly the most beautiful watch I've seen. I glanced back at the door, hearing Thomas yell something.

It's very beautiful.