·-13-· You're Mad As a Hatter! Son, Take Your Medicine! ·-13-·

"You're the new butler right?" I heard someone say behind me. I had stopped following the King and turned to see a man walking towards me.

He looked like Hatter though taller and less... Crazy looking... He wore a dark gray beanie atop his black poofy hair. He wore a very dark shade of red tailcoat- to the point where it looked like black- with a rose-colored waistcoat along with a white bowtie. He also wore black trousers and shoes.

In his hands was Hatter's top hat. I thought the executioner had it?

"Hercules Mulligan, the King's tailor," He held out a hand which I took, shaking it. He also seemed way nicer than Hatter.

"Thomas Jefferson," I replied. "Why do you have Hatter's top hat?"

"Oh!" He exclaimed, handing it over. "The executioner asked me to give it to Hatter but I'm kind of busy right now and you're the closest person."

"I see," I hummed, tucking the top hat under my arm. "Nice meeting you and thank you."

"It was my pleasure," Mulligan smiled as he walked away. I quickly made my way to where they were keeping Hatter. I was forbidden to visit him until I finished all my duties for the day but I have a valid excuse now. Hopefully.

I stopped by a dark mahogany door and knocked on the door. Five quick taps. There was no noise except for faraway footsteps in the hall. I twisted the doorknob, surprised that it was open.

I didn't do anything for a minute. I kept wondering to myself why I'm here in front of Hatter's door instead of... I don't know... Cleaning up after the King after he got bored and decided to throw darts at Pheacker wherever he went.

But I'm Hatter's friend (I think) and I thinks it's appropriate that I return his beloved top hat and at least try to be nice to him.

"Hatter?" I peeked inside before walking in.

Hatter sat in the corner of the room, his legs apart in a V shape and his hands toying with a small needle. He was glaring at some obscure object in the distance. His dark eyes looked dead as if he didn't care about anything at the moment.

"Hatter, you alright?" I asked again, closing the door behind me. He didn't really respond to my question. He just sat there like I didn't exist. I walked over to the corner of the room, crouching in front of him and waving a hand in front of his face.

"Geez, you're here?" Hatter scoffed. "Shouldn't you be, I don't know, kissing George's ass right now?"

"I'd rather not," I replied with a wry smile. Hatter soon looked at me, his lips somewhat curling into a grin. I sat next to him against the wall.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you in my room," Hatter asked teasingly. I held his top hat in front of him. He took it reluctantly and sighed.

"You're welcome," I said with a teasing look.

"You didn't even give me a chance to say thank you," Hatter said.

"Like you were going to," I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Hatter giggled, obviously trying to cover up the fact that he wasn't going to thank me.

We sat quietly together for a moment before Hatter burst into a fit of breathless laughter.

"What's so funny?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"To think that I was on the verge of death as you just stood and did nothing," Hatter said. "That makes me laugh."

My lips turned down into a frown. "I didn't do 'nothing'. I was truly terrified that you were going to die!"

"Yeah, I heard," Hatter snorted. "But I could've sworn that I died once I saw the ax chop into the wood next to me. I thought he just missed but I heard that the executioner never misses."

"But what would've happened if he did miss?" I asked.

Hatter laughed, looking at me. "Then we wouldn't be having this conversation, dumbass!"

"Right," I mumbled. "But really, I did do something for you and Laurens. I convinced the King to spare your life."

"Yeah, after giving us a heart attack, apparently," Hatter snorted. I frowned.

"C'mon, the least you could do is thank me." I rolled my eyes. Hatter hit my arm with the back of his hand, laughing slightly.

"I'll think about it."

"Geez, you're so ungrateful."

"Speak for yourself. You didn't say thank you when I saved you from the Bandersnatch."

"Which led to our capture and not to speak of how rudely you treated me behind that tree."

"Fair point."

I smiled at the small victory. Arguing with Hatter actually felt... fun? I don't know, it felt exciting and... I don't know, forget about it.

"When are you leaving?" The sudden question hit me hard. All the light heartedness in our conversation soon disappeared, leaving us in a tense silence.

"Well, do you want me to...?" I asked, glancing at Hatter. He turned his body so he directly looked at me.

"Yes- I mean... No, but-" He sighed. "I don't know."

"If you really hate me that much, I'll leave," I mumbled.

Hatter didn't say anything. He bit his bottom lip, looking away as if he was keeping himself from saying something. We stayed like that for awhile, me looking at Hatter as he looked away.

"I didn't mean it as to leave me alone or exit the room," Hatter perked up, shaking his head as he played with the rim of his top hat. "Not that I want you to stay here anyway!"

"Geez," I sighed with a small shake of my head. "You're so complicated."

Hatter gave me a long stare.

I tried to lighten the mood a little by laughing lightly. "I know I'm handsome but staring isn't very polite."

Hatter frowned, placing his top hat on and standing.

"Actually, I do mean for you to leave the room."

Or not.

I jumped to my feet, giving Hatter a confused look.

"You-"

"Yes, I'm sure," Hatter literally pushed me out his room, shutting the door behind me.

So much for being nice.

~~~~~~~~~~

Oml- I almost forgot to update! Sorry!

~Ly <3