·-7-· The Woods Where It Happened ·-7-·

Slowly, I felt the pain on the cuts increasing. And slowly, I started to think this is all real. Or I'm actually dead and this is my punishment for being an asshole to a lot of people.

I grunted in pain as I slowed down my pace.

There was no one chasing me anymore. No giant creature or nightmarish knights.

I stopped by a tree at a fork in the road, catching my breath. My lungs were burning from having to run so much. It's hard to run when you're almost a foot tall and wearing a dress. I took slow deep breaths, calming down. I remembered that Hamilton gave me the cake earlier. I could cover more ground when I'm normal sized.

Taking the cake out of my apron pocket, I noticed that it was crumbled to pieces. I ate one of the smaller pieces, feeling myself grow back to my original height. I stretched with a small satisfactory groan and a sigh. For a moment, I felt like everything was normal once again.

"Pardon me, are you Alice by any chance?" I heard someone say from behind me, causing me to jump in surprise. I turned around, taking a step back.

What I saw was a man who was shorter than me. He had no hair though gray cat ears with light blue stripes sprouted from his head. He had a big grin with dark eyes that had a hint of turquoise in them. He wore a black tailcoat with black trousers and dress shoes to match. The collar, the second layer of lapels over the coat and the waistcoat were a shade of mulberry with magenta stripes. Around his neck was a clean white cravat and behind him was a long furry tail, gray with light blue stripes.

He looked awfully familiar though I couldn't place my finger on it.

"No, I'm not Alice," I sighed. "I'm Thomas Jefferson."

"Well, my name is Aaron Burr, nice to meet you, sir," He said, his grin widening revealing more sharpened teeth.

"Right," I nodded. "Say, do you know where I ought to go from here?" I asked.

"Well, that depends on a good deal on where you want to get to," said Burr.

"I don't really care where-"

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," Burr interrupted, narrowing his eyes. 

 "-So long as I can get out of Wonderland," That word slipped past my lips, causing Burr to flinch and laugh. He folded his hands behind his back before he started to pace around me.

"Tell me, Jefferson," Burr started, as I followed him with my eyes. "Do you think this place is- as you put it- a Wonderland?"

"Honestly? I think it's hell so far." I answered. I watched Burr walk behind me. I expected him to appear on the other side like he's been doing for the past minute or so but he never did. I looked behind me and saw that he was gone. I searched for him but he disappeared into thin air.

"Then why call it Wonderland if it's hell for you?" I heard him say from above. I glanced up and saw him sitting on a branch, his tail swaying from side to side.

"How-How did you..." I was at a loss for words. "I must be going mad..."

"Oh you can't help that," Burr scoffed, his ears twitching. "We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." He swung his leg, smiling. "Wonderland... Maybe once, but not anymore." He disappeared into thin air once again before appearing in front of me with the same wide grin and mischievous eyes. 

Burrr pointed down the road to the left. "In that direction, lives a Hatter: and in that direction," Burr pointed to the right road. "Lives a March Hare." He shrugged. "Visit either you like: they're both mad."

"But I don't want to go among mad people," I remarked, huffing. 

"Hm, maybe you'll change your mind..." He grinned. "You're probably as mad as them, considering how you called this hell hole a Wonderland." Burr scoffed before disappearing into thin air.