·-11-· I Pray The King Shows You His Mercy ·-11-·

I checked myself one last time in the mirror before exiting my new room.

I finally got out of the dress (thank the King and the kindness he has shown me) and instead wore a black tailcoat, a dark red waistcoat and a lighter red dress shirt. I also had a white tie with black trousers and shoes.

I didn't have any chores or whatever, so I decided to explore the castle. I always tense up when I walked by one of the guards. They just looked like they came straight out of hell with their red armor and glowing eyes behind that helmet of theirs.

As I walked down the hall, I ran into Hamilton and Lafayette.

Hamilton now wore a red tail coat with white hearts and a red waistcoat with a red bow tie.

And Lafayette wore the same armor the guards wore.

"Ah! Alice, we need your help." Lafayette said as I approached them.

"We need to help Laurens and Hatter escape," Hamilton continued after he scanned the area for anyone listening.

"We're planning to break Hatter and Laurens out tonight. If you could just steal The King's keys, we might have a chance."

"And I'm doing this because...?"

Hamilton groaned, shaking his head. "-Because it gets awfully boring without him!"

"But what if we get caught? Then we'll all be killed," I said.

"That's where Laf comes in! He'll be one of the guards by the cells!" Hamilton exclaimed quietly.

"What about the other hundred guards around the whole palace?" Hamilton opened his mouth to protest though shut it quickly.

"Thought so. What I'm thinking is that I have all day to convince The King to let Hatter and Laurens go. I'm his butler so technically, I'll have access to most places."

"And what if you don't convince him?" Lafayette asks.

"I'll postpone it, so we'll have more time to come up with a better plan than Hamilton's," I answered.

"Alright then, fine. Let's go with your plan," Hamilton crossed his arms.

"Come on, rookie, stop dawdling around," One of the guards walked by and grabbed Lafayette by his collar.

I walked off and searched for the throne room. I bumped into Eacker as I turned the corner.

"There you are, The King has ordered you to paint the roses red in the garden," Eacker said as he handed me a paint bucket and a variety of brushes.

"I thought I don't have to work until tomorrow?" I raised an eyebrow at the bucket of paint.

"He changed his mind, now hurry up," Eacker walked past me with a small huff. I glared at him before walking down the halls and out the door. If I could do this quickly, I can talk to The King sooner.

I quickly made my way to the garden, stopping in front of a bush with white roses. I placed the paint bucket down and got to work.

By the time I finished the fifth rose, I heard someone clap behind me. I turned my head to see King George walking towards me.

"Remarkable job, Alice!" He exclaimed, leaning in close to examine the newly painted roses. "Have you ever painted before?"

"I have painted one of my sister's room before," I replied.

"Oh, so you have siblings," The King hummed. "I have siblings. Though we all separated at the age of 20."

I nodded, starting to paint a new rose.

"Your Highness, if I may, what did Hatter exactly do to be executed?"

"Well, 8 years ago, I had a butler. Oddly enough, he looks like you. Then one day, the Hatter helped him escape and I've haven't seen him since" The King explained. "Shame, he was a funny butler."

"Maybe you should give him a second chance?" I asked.

"Why should I?"

"Well, first of all, Hatter is a hatter. And he'll make hats for you and clean your crown on a daily basis. And you've seen his top hat. It was beautiful. Anyone would kill for that type of craftsmanship." I answered.

"He was already my Hatter all those years ago. And I did miss someone cleaning my crown with such purpose. None of my other butlers really had any interest in it." The King thought for a minute but nodded. "Alright," The King folded his hands behind his back. "He'll live."

"And The March Hare!" I quickly added in. "I heard he's an excellent cook! The best this place has seen!"

That was a lie. Well, kind of. I had no clue if Laurens actually cooked or not.

"I'll think about it." The King said. "But thank you for bringing this to my attention. Though, I'm kind of disappointed that there are fewer executions."

"Thank you, your majesty," I smiled at him.

~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, yeah I know, I forgot to update yesterday.

I wasn't busy, I guess I just forgot!

So I updated twice today, sorry 'bout that!

~Ly <3