·-2-· Suffering Too Terrible to Name ·-2-·

Days after Jane's death were long, dark, depressing. Especially for Bet. She seemed to take it the worst.

Without Jane, Bet would usually be more aggressive towards others. She would sometimes eat once a day. Her caretaker even quit since she couldn't handle Bet. So now, I'm taking care of her as Martha looks for a new caretaker.

I had stopped crying on the day after the funeral. Though, I still grieved and started to skip one or two meals a day. My siblings noticed though I would never admit to their questions.

I just stayed quiet for most days and took care of Bet. We would piece together puzzles or I would read her books that I would pick up from the library or even play my violin for her. Sometimes, I would even cook some Mac 'n cheese with her.

But it was the hardest when we told the younger ones. We had to tell Lucy, Anna, and Randolph about Jane sooner or later. Right when I broke out the news to them, Lucy fell silent while Anna and Randolph ran and locked themselves in their rooms. The only time they would leave was for breakfast or lunch or dinner. It broke my heart to see them like this.

I walked through the halls of the quiet mansion with a book in my hands. I picked up a book from the library on the way home from law school for Bet and me to read.

I knocked on her door and walked in.

"Good afternoon, Bet," I smiled at her as she looked up from a drawing she was making.

"Thomas! Drawing, look!" She exclaimed, raising up the paper with enthusiasm like a small child. I examined the sheet of paper, noticing us and our siblings.

It had stick figures of me- which was scribbled on in a magenta- Mary in a yellow, Martha in a salmon, Lucy in an orange, Anna in a blue and Randolph in a green. Next to Randolph was a small gray circular drawing with two Xs resembling eyes.

"Whats that?" I asked her, pointing at the drawing.

"Old sister!" She smiled. I furrowed my eyebrows with a small frown. Though I loved Bet with my heart, I hated her dark humor.

"It's a great drawing, Bet," I gave her a sad smile as I took a seat next to her. "I got a book for ya. Wanna read it?"

"Yes! I love weading with you!" She clapped her hands excitedly. "Storytime! Storytime!"

"Alright," I let out a small laugh as I opened the book to the first page.

"It's called Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," I said as I showed her the title page. She nodded as I started reading aloud, stopping once in awhile to look up and see if she understood.

"Thomas? Elizabeth?" Martha knocked at the door before walking in. "Dinner's ready." I looked up from the book and glanced at the clock. I never noticed that it was this late already. I guess we were just into the book.

I shut the book with a small whine from Bet.

"I know, I know," I gave her head a small pat. "Don't worry, I'll read to you first thing in the morning." Bet's lips curled into a huge grin as she jumped from her seat excitedly.

"Yay!" She exclaimed, dragging me out her room.

~~~~~~~
MMMM!

Another fanfiction! :')

Anyway, this is an Alice in Wonderland AU, yaay!
And yeah, one chapter into the book already and there's death...

But really though, Jane Jefferson(older sister of Thomas) died at the age of 25. So she's 25 in this fanfic and Thomas is like 22 or 21. Also, this fanfic is just weird.. but it's not a crackfic! I'm actually very serious about this one and already have all of the chapters prewritten. Now time to edit :')

Anyways, enough of me talking.

~Yours truly, Ly <3