·-12-· Chaos And Bloodshed Are NOT the Solution ·-12-·

I stood behind the King's chair on the balcony as we waited for everyone to gather around the podium.

Today was the execution, and I was nervous. I had told Hamilton and Lafayette that it was fine and I had managed to convince the King but there's always a chance he changed his mind and continued with the execution. After all, I haven't seen Hatter or Laurens at all today.

"Oh, I do love myself a morning execution!" The King clapped his hands excitedly. "Don't you?"

"I'm fine with whatever time," I answered quietly. That was a lie. This is my first execution. How does the King take any enjoyment from this?

"I'm sorry for being late, your majesty," I heard a woman say behind us. She took a seat next to the King and nodded to me in greeting.

She had curly hair with a red bow tying a portion back along with mocha skin and shining dark eyes. She wore a red dress with a light red heart on the front. A black strip of cloth secured around her waist and tied into a bow behind. The sleeves of the dress were black though semi-transparent and had white specks of glitter all of it.

"No worries, Angelica," The King smiled. "You're right on time!"

"Who's the new guy?" Angelica asks, pointing to me.

"He's my new butler. Alice, this is Angelica. The Duchess and my advisor," The King explained. Angelica was about to say something before a trumpet blared down below.

Hamilton lowered his trumpet before calling out: "The execution begins!"

From the door to the south, walked out one creature. The frog who probably ate the tarts. A moment later I felt my throat run dry and a gasp escape my lips.

Hatter walked out, his hands chained together behind his back. Laurens followed close behind, as they walked up the podium. The executioner watched them walk up. He was wearing a black cloak with a hood over his head. Nobody could really see his face. He held a large ax, already ready to kill them off.

"I thought you said Laurens and Hatter would live?" I asked frantically. Tears already pricked my eyes for a reason unknown.

"Well, I had changed my mind. I don't need a Hatter or another cook so why spare them?" The King asked. At that moment, I had wanted to punch the King in the jaw or push him off the balcony. Though I had noticed Angelica staring at me and slightly shaking her head, mouthing a small "No".

I sighed, balling my hands into fists. "I see..."

The frog was first. Poor frog. He walked up to the front, before kneeling down and placing his head on a wooden slab. The executioner walked up to the frog, positioning his ax right above the frog's neck. The executioner raised his ax in the air, hesitating before it came down with a sickening crack and squish. The crowd gasped and one had even broken down to tears.

The only one who seemed to enjoy any of it was the King, the sick fuck. Blood dripped from the podium as the frog's head rolled into a small basket. Soldiers walked up the podium and dragged the frog's lifeless, headless body off the podium. Then...

Hatter was next...

He slowly went down on his knees, not giving anyone a single glance. The executioner slowly removed Hatter's top hat and placed it on the floor next to him and carefully raised his ax in the air.

I couldn't take it anymore. I broke into tears. Though we just met a few days ago, I felt like Hatter and I knew each other for years. And I know he's an asshole towards me! And I don't even know why I'm fucking crying over him! But it's like, he had some importance in my life and losing him would be like losing a... a...

The executioner brought down the ax...

I wiped away my tears with my sleeve, my vision too blurry to see anything. The King was laughing, and wouldn't stop. The motherfucker thinks this is fucking funny?!

I growled, glaring at my feet. I didn't dare glance up and see Hatter's lifeless body on the floor with his head a few feet away. If I did see it, I would lose my breakfast. Just thinking about it made my saliva turn sour.

"Alice," The King giggled. "Look at me."

I didn't want to though I slowly raised my gaze to look at him. He chuckled, pointing at the podium. Hatter was still on the slab. Though he was in one piece. There was not a single scratch on him... The ax was lodged into the wood right next to Hatter's neck but other than that, he was perfectly fine.

"What?" I asked, gasping.

"Yep, I decided to spare your boyfriend and his rabbit companion. But I just couldn't do it without having some fun. Dear heavens, it gets awfully boring in this castle," The King shrugged. I watched as guards took away Hatter and Laurens. Everyone was in shock of what had happened as the executioner picked up Hatter's top hat from the floor.

I let out a sigh of relief.

Thank fucking God...