Chapter - 1

A yonderly person like me always needs a healthy dose of isolophilia and moving to another city was not much of a good medicine for me, one week had elapsed since we moved, everything felt unfamiliar even after one week, even the air I breathe in the morning seemed unfamiliar, the look of my new room, my clock tickling and the sound of people jogging in the street, I stared out the window at the birds who sailed boldly across the blue sky, and I thought of my old home and mates, I had a vague sense that I could still be in a dream and then I would wake up and be far away from this new city.

My focus was shifted to the knock on my door, I turned back to saw my mother waltzing in, she always did this, she'd knock on my door but came in before I even give any response, what was the point in knocking there? But it was already a miracle that I could get her to even knock, so I'd rather not test my luck.

"Andrea, are you still not ready? Today is your first day, make haste." She demanded.

My mother was always a breezy kind, the type of which fits in every environment, she was always poised and was extraordinarily good with her words, unlike me she enjoyed new stuff, new environment and new air. She was also filled with anticipation when we move to this new city but she also had the knowledge of knowing that I was not as excited as she was about new city and first day of new school.

I hate going to school, especially the new one, but needs must when one must educate herself. I loathe a lot of things, but there was one thing I'd always value, and that was education. So, rather than succumbing to my hatred for noise and stay at home, I was going to school, even though that was one of the last things I wish to do in my life at the moment. The only subject I loved was Mathematics and I enjoyed no other subjects. I took after my Grandpa Tommy who was a great Mathematician of his times, one of the best, even. I had heard endless tales about what a great mathematics teacher Grandpa Tommy was, my father used to hang his picture in our old home, I remembered my younger self staring at his long white beard and eyes of intelligence that his picture portrayed in our wall and dreamed of becoming a great mathematician like him.

Out of my whole four grandparents, Grandpa Tommy was the only one I knew a great deal about, I'd never even met my mother's parents, I hardly even know anything about them, my Mother did a great job in avoiding questions regarding her parents, or her family in general.

I heard my mother's usual harmonizing sound as I went down to join them for breakfast and sat down beside my father who I could tell had just woken up, "Today is going to be an exciting day." She said with a big smile while putting the pancakes she had prepared in front of us.

"I believe there is nothing interesting about being a new girl." I shot back while taking a bite of my breakfast.

"Why do you have such belief, honey? Being a new girl means new opportunity, new friends, I used to be very excited about going to a new school while I was young." She stated cheerfully. It would be great if I could had at least half of my mother's enthusiasm, or if we could simply swap bodies for today, in that matter.

"Well, this proves the point that our daughter took after me more," Father giggled, "I also have never enjoyed a new school." He said smiling at me, I gave him back a smile as my mother continued to jabber about how excited she was for the entire breakfast.

"I'm done." I announced as I got up from my seat and made pace towards the door as my father called after me, "Should I not drop you off?"

"No, I prefer to go by myself, have a nice day!" With that I stormed out of my house and rode on my bicycle.

I can list hundreds of things I loathe about school in a mere span of one good minute, but above all, I hate the noise. I had an awful lot of times in school when I wish to disappear because of the noise, and when I thought of disappearing, I never meant disappearing at home, just somewhere, a peaceful place with no noise, preferably at high places, alone with the refreshing wind.

And no matter how well established or posh my new school was going to be, I was already bored of it, and as reluctant as I was, I reached the school.

I scanned the environment a bit for a moment, it was bigger than my previous school, way bigger. I spotted the parking lot and parked my bicycle. While wondering if it would rain or not, I walked inside the school and took out my map and started searching for my classroom. If it did rain, I would be one unlucky lass since I didn't bring an umbrella with me.

I had a little trouble searching for my classroom since every nook and corner was pack with humans, and I could not move in a haste, after wasting five boring minutes, I finally found the class I was supposed to be at. I knocked at the door firmly and heard the teacher response, "Come in." I breathed and stepped in, the moment I walked inside the classroom, every eye had fallen upon me.

A man in a long brown coat, with a paper in his hands stood in front of me, he looked rather young, it was clear that he was basically in his mid-20's in one glance, he possessed such a kind face and was offering me a smile which I did not return, "You must be the transfer student, Miss?" He asked.

"Devona, Andrea Devona." I answered.

"Alright Miss Devona, welcome to your new school, I'm Philip, your history teacher." He held out his hands for me to shook and I took it, "If you have any problem, my door will always be open." I nodded, "Find yourself an empty seat at the back."

I did as he told me and walked at the back with a heavy glance of the students on me, I heard whispers, they were probably talking about me, judging my every move, and I could not care less.

Starting the day with History class, could life get any more boring? But the bell rung in no time, and I must admit, it was the first time the bell rung before I thought about when it would ring as I always did in any History class I had in my entire life.

Sir Philip was young and energetic and his class was not as boring as other History class I had endured, his explanations were nice to hear, undoubtedly Sir Philip was good, it was also hard not to notice the sweet smile he had on his lips as he walked out of the classroom.

I heard my name being called and I looked back to see who it was, and found myself facing a fair girl, with a black short hair and a smile plastered on her mouth as she said, "So, your name is Andrea? I'm Ashlynn." She held out her hand for me and I shook it, "What do you think of your first class?" She asked, "Not bad." I admitted, "Probably one of the best History class I ever had so far." I added, and I meant it.

"Totally agreed, before Sir Philip was transferred here, I never even bother to attend the history class," She giggled, "Our previous history teacher was unbearable, I swear."