Chapter - 35

I always considered myself as kind of creepy, as I always tend to stare into the blank space without even thinking about anything, and the things I hold onto were very much divergent than other kids my age, I still had a vague memory of my Grandpa Tommy's moustache, and a memory of the flowers that always blossom in my mother's garden, to other's confound, I still didn't taste even one drop of anything related to alcohol.

It was not because I was trying to be the perfect daughter, or the perfect innocent girl, but because I was not interested, if the fictional character I read from the novels used to drink it, then maybe I would have considered it. So, the smell of alcohol that once covered all the air inside our house when my father's mate came over at night, still stuck with me. I briefly recalled any memory I had with alcohol, and it was not many. My father turned out to be an occasional drinker, and my mother may have drink it once or twice, but never in front of me though, turned out we were a family that was not very fond of alcohol.

"Would you like another drink?" A bartender called out to Alex who was sitting beside me, and he came to pour Alex another drink before he even response.

I still kind of find it hard to believe that there was a bar at the basement of the hotel we were staying at, Alex took me with him after we finished our dinner, and I only agreed to go with him because I knew Ashlynn would be there.

Levi was already at the bar when we arrived, but Simon and Ash were still not here even after 10 minutes had elapsed. I tried vainly to stand up as I was held back down by Alex's strong gripped on my wrist. "Stay." He mumbled.

I could already smell his breath of alcohol as he spoke, but his stare was still firm that indicated that he was still very much sober.

"Why are you even drinking? We're here for school purpose."

"The real shit starts tomorrow, and that is why I'm drinking tonight." He answered me as he leaned back at the couch we sat at, "Don't worry." Levi spoke to me from where he was playing a pool, "Just 5 glass of alcohol won't do anything to him." He commented, pointing to Alex.

Just 5 glass? Was that less according to them? I wondered if I would be able to drink one glass of alcohol without getting drunk, and here, Alex drank 5 glass or more, and he still was sober. He may have started drinking from a very young age. And just as I started to worry about the temptation in Alex's sparkling eyes, Simon and Ash finally stormed inside the bar.

"Ash..." I quickly called out, I shook Alex's gripped away which was still on me, and walked towards Ashlynn who still wore the same big smile on her face from before.

Her eyes telling me she had an awful excessively entertaining time. Without even opening her mouth, I could tell she felt like she just came down from heaven. It was such a good sight to witness. Even though, I could not help worry about her, it was still nice to see her so happy, truly happy.

She gave me a tight hug as she squeezed my arms, I could feel her rapid heartbeat against my chest, I giggled, "Endlessly having a race?" I poked her.

"We have to get to Hall 1." Simon announced as I turned to gazed at him, "Mr. Phil is going to make some announcements." He stated as he sat down next to Alex where I was sitting before, pouring himself a drink.

"Promise I'll tell you as soon as we get time for ourselves, but for now, let me enjoy this precious moment." Ashlynn whispered to my ears, blushing away as she said the last sentence. "You also have to tell me everything." She added, enthusiastically.

I nodded to her as a yes and eyed Alex, "Aren't we going?" I asked, and he looked up to me with eyes which seemed to longed for a sleep. He casually stood up as Simon and Levi worked up too, and then together, we set off.

"I'm quite glad." Alex whispered to my ears as we made our way towards the hall where Mr. Phil summoned us, "Why so?" I asked, curiously.

"At first, I thought you would storm off with your friend without even looking back," He inhaled, a smell of alcohol still hanging around somewhere in the air, "But, you actually ask of me."

I fought my smirk, "Almost did storm off."

It's time I stopped getting so hard to play, given my situation and the engagement I had going on, it was actually time I made my moves. As I was thinking, I felt Alex's skin on my hand, softly rubbing his thump up and down, as if he craves for more skin.

A sound of Ash's shy giggle followed my ears as we reached the ground, majority of the students were already outside, getting ready to hit the hall we were supposed to be at, numerous eyes landed on us as we walked on, with Alex's hand on mine, the jealous eyes of girls looking at us was unmistakable, I squinted at Ashlynn who was walking behind me with Simon, I could feel her shouting as she stared at me with burning eyes. A faint smile appeared on my lips as I turned away, witnessing Ash so gleeful was a great feeling to come across. I hoped, with the bottom of heart, that her happiness not fade so soon.

Alex made me sit just next to him as we settled down on a chair, waiting for Mr. Phil to fill us with any requisite information.

In a trice, the hall was filled with handful of students, and it seemed any student who walked in, cannot help glaring at us for a minute or two, but I figured that most students didn't seem to dare stare at Alex for long, and to me for that matter as I sat just next to him. As everybody told me before, the weather here was so bone-chilling. I wore a sweater and wore a big jacket upon that, and I wore a beanie in order to warm my cold ears, I wore socks too, in order to keep my feet warm and I intensely regret not obeying my mother's advice to bring a glove.

My hands were cold, I hold both my hands together and rolled them up inside my jacket. "So, what do we all think about that?" Mr. Phil's voice filled the hall, I didn't pay much attention to the details for the whole thing he was saying for the last 5 minutes, all I was focused on was...something. Something, that didn't benefit me in anyway.

I have seen a picture of some people without no warm clothes or a house, who stayed in the streets in a newspaper before, how could they live? It was no wonder that majority of the poor died in winter because they had no house or clothes to keep them warm. Here, I sat inside a hall, with warm clothes to cover me from my head to toe, and I still shivered.

"Miss Devona, hello?" I heard my name being called out, I quickly sat straighter as I gazed up at Mr. Phil who was giving me a sweet smile. I raised my eyebrows as I didn't catch his questions, and I caught Alex's heavy stare at me as soon as my name was being called.

"I'm curious what have been your reverie every time you seem out of this world." He gave me a faint laughed but the crowd didn't join in his laughter this time, I just gave him a thin smile since I didn't know how to respond, "Anyway, concentrate here now." He continued to give details for tomorrow as the students showered the hall with different kinds of their opinions.

The gaze of Alex's stare was still on me, it started to made me a little bit uncomfortable so I decided to shot at him, "Why are you looking at me like that?" I breathed.

"Don't you like staring at beautiful things?" He asked, "Like maybe a star?"

"What? Of course, I do." I answered, confused by how he responds to my easy question.

"I also enjoy staring at beautiful things, just like you do...just like everyone else." I turned to meet his eyes which I was avoiding for long, and he continued, "That is why I can't take my eyes off you, I sometimes feel like I'll forget how to breath if I stop looking at you."