Chapter 22

After being away from the group for such a long time, you forget how much they mean to you. I mean you always miss them, but you forget how much you love being with them and spending time with them. They are basically your family now anyway, we don't really have any other family.

I'm going on a run with Rick and Daryl, we're desperately running out of food, and the best thing is, we're in a field in the middle of nowhere and there isn't any shops for miles.

"You two do realise we can't stay in this field, we're miles from any shops, we'll run out of fuel, we need to find somewhere new to stay and you both know it" I told them as we walked up to the cars.

"She is right Rick, after 2 runs we'll have half a tank of fuel if we're lucky, which lately, we're not." Daryl agreed.

"Well your very welcome to go and find a new place Daryl but we all know that it isnt as easy as it sounds" Rick said.

"I'll go, i don't particularly want to go on this run" I said.

"Then why the hell did you ask to come?" Daryl laughed.

"I didn't really want to sit in the middle of a field either"

"Your not going on your own, its dangerous" Rick warned me.

"Rick I went 5 months looking after Carl and Kara on my own, i think i'll be fine"

"I suppose, look, you take this car, we'll take Daryls truck, but be back here by dark, okay?"

"Okay"

He kissed me and waved as they walked over to Daryls truck.

I got into the car and threw my bag onto the seat next to me. I started up the car and drove out of the field as fast as i possibly could, i knew exactly where i was going to go.

After a 2 hour drive I had got here, it was perfect, i hadnt seen a walker for about half an hour, now i just had to check the inside. I jumped out the car infront of the gate and picked the lock on the gate, i drove inside and up to the door, i got my guns out and picked the lock on the door. You only had to look inside the door to see if anyone had been in here before. I opened the door and sure as hell everything was clean, no one had been here, perfect. I stepped into the sand and upto the water. I got the ladder that was at the side and put it over the water, i walked across it and jumped onto the other side. It was just so perfect. The water was just normal it never had chlorine so it was fine to drink. You didn't have to go through the water everytime you come in or leave, there was another door on the top floor, with stairs leading down, but it had about 6 strong locks on the inside of the 6inch thick titanium door. The building was 6 floors, but one was underground, so from ground level it was 5 stories. I couldn't wait to tell the others. After looking around for a few hours I came back outside to find that it was dark. Fuck. They're going to be freaking out, or having a party, whatever they're doing. I quickly ran back to the car, drove out the gate and locked it. I then drove the 2 hours back.

By the time i actually got back it was midnight, but the fire was still lit so they were still awake, probably waiting for me. I got out of the car and was met by Daryls face.

"Thought Rick said be back by dark Em?"

"Yeah well, i got distracted"

He laughed, "Well did ya find somewhere?"

"Let me come get my lecture from Rick and then i'll tell you all what happened"

He nodded and started walking over with me to the rest of the group.

Beth seen me and ran over with Kara in her arms, I took Kara from her and gave her a hug

"sorry i'm back so late"

She smiled and nodded, letting me know it was fine.

I carried on walking towards the others and Rick stood up, he didn't look angry thankgod, not that anything could kill my mood.

He put his arms around me when i got to him "I was so worried" He said.

"i'm sorry, i'll make it up to you later?" I winked and smiled at him,

He smiled back and nodded, knowing what it meant.

"I need to talk to you all," I said and everyone looked up at me,

"Rick, Daryl and I discussed earlier that we are too far away from any shops here, after about 4 runs we'll be out of fuel, and thats if we're lucky. I went out to find somewhere earlier, i found somewhere, and it is beyond perfect, its an apartment block, but its where rich people would have lived, the apartments would have cost around 2 million each, they're huge, they have luxeries, the whole place has its own water supply and electricity supply that hasnt been used since the beginning of the apocalypse, its 5 floors high with 3 apartments on each floor. Theres also a floor underground and its like a club type thing, the walls and ceilings are sound proof, theres a bar, pool table, stereo, bowling alley, all sorts, like i said,, its huge. You cant really break into it, the front door is 6 inch thick titanium and has 6 locks on the inside which luckily werent locked when i got there, then theres a swimming pool right infront of it that you can put a ladder on to get over, but there is no way around it, walkers couldnt get it. Theres also a 6 inch titanium door on each floor with 6 locks, and the whole place is surrounded my 10ft fences. The shops are a 5 minute walk away, so about 2 minutes in the car, the apartment block also has a playground on the outside. I got loads of food and drinks, candles and lighters just incase we run out of electric, cigarettes, i found some Xbox's, playstations, theres a gym on the ground floor. Its just perfect, its absolutely perfect, its hard to get to aswell, so no one is likely to turn up. What do you think?"

Everyone looked at me like i was joking.

Rick stood up and walked over next to me.

"Pack your things, we leave at first light."