Chapter 36

5 years later

Ricks P.O.V

We had finally finished filming 'The Walking Dead' and the final episode aired tonight. Emily, Kara, Jesse, Holly, Connor, Megan and Jack, our 2 year old son, and I sat on the sofa waiting for it to start. Eventually the theme tune came on and when it ended it showed Carl, Emily and I gagged and tied to a pole on the floor, unable to move, with the rest of our group dead in front of us, except Michonne, with Gareth infront of us. It showed terminus. Everyone except us had died. We were being tortured. 

When it got towards the end of the episode it showed the news on the tv, after we had killed everyone in terminus except Gareth who had run. The news was repeating "The apocalypse is over" over and over again. I stood facing Emily and Carl who were smiling and were unbelievably happy, just like me. 

Until their faces changed. 

There faces went from happy to terrified in less than a second, and before I even had the time to react, a bullet went directly through Emilys head, and she dropped to the floor. I spun round gun out to see Gareth smirking, before another bullet went through Carls head. And before I could even react to this, a bullet went straight into my head aswell. There left Gareth looking at us dead on the floor with a big smile on his face. Then you heard footsteps behind him, and then Michonnes sword went through his stomach. And she left him there. To die slowly and painfully. And without a second look at him, she walked away, and that is where the episode ended.

Myself, I thought it was quite a bad ending for the series, I thought it was going to be a realistic to what we actually experienced. The apocalypse ending and everyone surviving, not everyone except Michonne dying.

I turned the TV off and all the kids except Kara had fallen asleep. Emily and I both carried them all upstairs and put them into their beds.

Emily hadn't spoke to me at all that day or night.

Emilys P.O.V.

I didn't want to speak to anyone last night. Not at all. 

I put the kids to bed and went straight into the bathroom to take a shower. I sat down under the water and cried. I cried my heart out.

Today was 11 years since we had lost Charlotte.

In everyday situations it wasn't obvious that I missed her, but the truth was I didn't go a day without thinking about her.

It still upsets me now to think that she died in such a painful, horrific way, right infront of me.

I could have stopped it, I could have shot it before it got to her.

But I wasn't fast enough.

I got out the shower and quickly got dressed. I looked into the mirror and my eyes were bright red.

Rick would know I had been crying.

Eventually I came out the bathroom and went downstairs into the kitchen to be met by Rick sat at the table.

He stood up quickly and took my hand.

"Em whats the matter?" He said, his voice was full of concern.

I knew that I couldn't just not tell him. But I broke down in front of him before I even had the chance to say anything.

He quickly wrapped his arms around me and held me tight to his body. He picked me up and sat me down on his lap, never releasing the tight grip he had around me.

I cried until 3 in the morning on his shoulder, he didn't fall asleep, he didn't release the grip he had around me, he didn't even move from the space he had sat down with me in his lap. For the 5 hours I had been crying on him, he didn't even seem to get bored or angry with me for being so ridiculous.

I eventually managed to stop crying and I lifted my head up, I must have looked awful.

"Can you get me some water please?" I barely managed to ask because my throat was so dry.

Rick picked me up and sat me down on the sofa again. He walked into the kitchen and not long after came out with a glass of water and handed it to me, I drank it quickly and put the glass down.

Rick sat down next to me again and wrapped his arms around me.

"Can you tell me whats wrong? You haven't spoke to me atall until now so I know it must be something pretty serious, or personal to you?" He asked.

"It is a personal thing, I don't expect you to remember this, today, well yesterday, was 11 years since Charlotte, died," I bowed my head. "I just get so upset because I was closer to her than anyone else ever before the apocalypse, she was more than just my sister, she was my closest friend, my best friend, she understood me, she was the only person I could tell everything to, she was the only person i trusted, there was nobody else." I just blurted it all out to him, I was sick of hiding and lying to myself just how close we were.

Rick had no words, he could never understand just how I feel right now.

"I don't know what to say, I'm sorry" Rick said.

"Thats okay, Rick." I said, as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

He layed down when i let go and I grabbed a blanket. I layed down next to him and put the blanket over us both.

I kissed him quickly.

"Thankyou" I said.

"For what?" He asked.

"Being there for me, just everything"

"Emily I need to ask you something"

He sat up.

"What? Whats the matter?"

Suddenly candles were lit around the room, and the rest of the 'group' came out.

Rick took something from Daryl and then came back to me.

"Emily I love you ridiculous amounts."

"I love you too Rick"

He looked at Daryl and he nodded.

"Emily will you marry me?"

He revealed a silver ring with a large diamond.

My jaw dropped.

I had never seen anything so beautiful in my life.

I took it from him and examined it.

Then I put it on my ring finger.

"YES!" I said and jumped into his arms.

I could see the girls crying with happiness.

I walked over to them and joined them all in a group hug.

I let go and went back to Rick.

"I love you so much Rick"