The Rake

Art above drawn by, ChrisOzFulton.

1. Aliases for The Rake are, Rake, Large Hairless Dog (that's accurate), and Naked Man.

2. The Rake gets its name from the long claws it has on its hands.

3. The species of The Rake is unknown, but some people theorize that it might be an alien.

4. The gender of The Rake is unknown, but is presumed to be male.

5. The Rake was said to be inspired by H.P. Lovecraft (we gotta love H.P. Lovecraft).

6. There were many ideas of what to name this creature and it has undergone many name changes. One of those names was, Operation Crawler.

7. The Rake also went through many design changes. A lot of the design changes kept the height of the original design, which was, approximately 6 feet tall, walked on all fours, and the fact that it was humanoid. The original design had The Rake with three eyes, no nose and mouth, but when provoked or approached, a mouth opens up to show tiny, dull teeth, and it also stands up when it is approached. Another design change after the original one stated that it had two eyes, pale-greyish skin, and ate meat genitals (so, is The Rake all of a sudden a version of Albert Fish who likes genitals instead of the buttocks?). Anyways, the point is, the design of The Rake kept changing until we got to the design we currently have.

8. People speculated that The Rake might be a proxy to The Slender Man.

9. People also theorized that The Rake might of been mutated by Sigma Radiation.

10. A lot people theorize that there may be more than one Rake due to it being seen across several countries and because of witness encounters from hundreds of years ago (in the story "The Rake", it states that the people researching about this creature "had accumulated nearly two dozen documents dating between the 12th century and present day" and was documented for the first time in 1691).

11. It has been speculated that The Rake (if there's only one) is immortal due to the fact it has been around for centuries.

12. The Rake originated on 4chan's /b/ board in late 2005 from a thread that was started by an anonymous user who stated, "Hey /b/ lets make a new monster!" There were many ideas, one of those ideas being The Rake. Another user created a new thread based on this idea and it started with this post, a.k.a. the original design: "Alright, this is for the people who like the three-eyes, no apparent mouth, pale skin one. Here's what we've got so far: Humanoid, about six feet tall when standing, but usually crouches and walks on all fours. It has very pale skin. The face is blank. As in, no nose, no mouth. However, it has three solid green eyes, one in the middle of its forehead, and the other two on either side of its head, towards the back. Usually seen in front yards in suburban areas. Usually just watches the observer, but will stand up and attack if approached. When it attacks, a mouth opens up, as if a hinged skull that opens at the chin. Reveals many tiny, but dull teeth."

13. The first and most well-known story about The Rake (a.k.a. the one we all know and love... hopefully) was posted to the personal blog of SomethingAwful user Brian Somerville on July 20th, 2006.

14. The image, yes, the image apparently was taken on November 30th, 2010. It gained widespread traction across the internet to a point in which large local news stations were talking about it. The commotion died down when it was later revealed to be a Resistance 3 Game hoax though.

The photo I'm talking about:

The original photo:

I gotta admit, that's some pretty good photoshop

15. Another theory/speculation, yes, another one, is that The Rake used to be human (which apparently explains its humanoid appearance) who was mutated and gifted immortality.

16. The Rake was featured in the Slender ARG/YouTube series, EverymanHYBRID, as one of the antagonists.

The Rake in EverymanHYBRID:

When I watched this series, I had to skip the parts of the video whenever The Rake appeared because the character design and the way the actor potrayed it was that creepy and unsettling to watch 😅

17. The creator of The Rake is unknown.